Don't Change Money at Global Exchange Ezeiza

Stafford

Registered
Okay, most of us who've been around the block know this. But for anyone planning to come to BA for the first time, don't get ripped off by "Global Exchange" at Ezeiza. If you have hard currency to convert and must do so at the airport, proceed to Banco Nación or Banco Piano.

Interesting article about this in Clarin today:

For those of you that are still making plans to come here do this for your cash checking account. Get yourself a Charles Schwab High Yield checking account - they have to open an investors account for you first, then the checking account. BUT they give you a debit/visa card - no minimum balance required! No fees to have the account! Any ATM fees you are charged (anywhere) you will get reimbursed! And they do NOT charge any foreign transaction fees. It's a sweet deal.

For Credit Card purchases, I recommend the CHASE Sapphire preferred card. No fee for the first year. No foreign transaction fees. And they give you the best exchange rate for the day. So the trick is, once the year is up - switch to their regular Chase Sapphire card with no annual fee. (You collect points you can use towards airline tickets, hotels, etc) The key here though is the NO foreign transaction fees :)

I think Capital One has a credit card that does the same.

I feel warm and fuzzy inside every time I come through eze because I have the opportunity to warn unsuspecting tourists against changing their money at Global Exchange.

Those guys probably hate me by now, I tell everyone nearby at baggage claim, and then while I'm buying booze at duty free I kind of shout out to anyone I see eying the stand and tell them to stay a way.

Lee said:
...preparing the newly arrived tourist for the innumerable ripoffs that they will encounter while visiting Argentina.

This is what the capitalism is, after all. Why buying dollars 20% off the official rate is immoral, and buying them 10% off the actual market rate is moral?
Their exchange booth is strategically placed. They help tourists to cope with anxiety of being in a foreign country without local money.

How much does Global Exchange have to pay to the airport Authority as rent?

Could that sum be the difference?

does anyone know who owns Global Exchange?

I understand that Constantino has the hammer regarding the airport200 franchise/concession. He is the fella of Alpargatas/ Topper fame , and Nordelta main moneyman. Im sure one of the Campora Kids has the hammer on that exchangehause

no drink , no nuthin eh ? just bend over and grab the knees . U are a ruthless one Lee !

glasgowjohn said:
How much does Global Exchange have to pay to the airport Authority as rent?

Could that sum be the difference?

does anyone know who owns Global Exchange?

Don't know what they pay, but I don't imagine they pay appreciably more than Banco de la Nacion or Piano Bank.

Back