download Kindle in Castellano / Porteños / Lunfardo

mkub3905

Registered
Been trying to learn Buenos Aries Argentine (Castellano / los porteños (?) / Lunfardo)... (it's not happening that quickly)
So... my approach is to 'just try everything into the pot and hope something works". (The obvious would be to just take lessons in BA; but currently i am in NYC, and will be here for a few more months - you would think that there would be Argentinian lessons SOMEWHERE in this town ...not.)

I thought maybe, I ought to try reading stuff in the language.
I thought Kindle would be a good option. I've heard about Julio Cortazar,
Bruce Chatwin, and Jorge Luis Borge - they sound wonderful ! (I'm actually not that avid of a reader) however:
*** Has anyone figured out where / how to find Argentine stuff (not 'Spanish') in Kindle. I can't figure it out. (Does it exist; Is it possible?)

Maybe the better approach would be to subscribe online to some Argentine publications.(?).

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions will be greatly appreciated in advance,
Mark

You want to learn the variety of Spanish that is spoken in Buenos Aires. The key word here is spoken. You won't learn that by reading, unless you can lay your hands on literature that is current (i.e., 2023) and full of dialogue between the characters. Borges and Cortazar wrote 50-100 years ago (a few words of archaic Lunfardo creep in from time to time).

The main differences between Spanish in Buenos Aires and Spanish elsewhere are in spoken dialog; different vowel stress patterns, different sentence cadence, different conjugations in the second personal informal conjugations of the most frequently spoken verbs, and different nouns for common objects in the world. It's not stuff you will find many traces of in the written form of the language. It's something to have to hear and practice in situ.

Oh… got it…. (Makes total sense)

Having said that as I slowly muddle through learning Castilian (https://www.pimsleur.com/learn-spanish-spain-castilian/subscription-all-access), concerned that my “tu’s and vos’s”, my cadence and stress, my vocabulary, …. will all be worthless (they certainly felt that way during my last trip), I suspect that I ought just get past that, and keep at it (they, the two languages, are close enough, and eventually I’ll have enough learned to be more understood ?)

Your thoughts?

Correct. They are not two languages. River Plate Spanish is a variety of the Spanish language. It doesn't pay to obsess about the differences between it and the other varieties that exist. Learning a second language is hard enough without complicating it unnecessarily.

I used to use Push to Kindle to send stories from La Nación, Clarin and Infobae to my Kindle. (I should still do it, really.) It works really well. It's nice to be able to just touch a word in Spanish and see the translation. And you learn about what's going on here at the same time that you're improving your Spanish.

Back