Downtown Institute Seeks English Teachers Immediately

stephensonle

Registered
Hey everyone,

The English institute where I work is looking for new teachers as we just won a contract with a new company and need to fill 50-60 hours of teaching per month starting in May.

This is a great institute-- the office is run very professionally, with a strict attendance policy for students (if they don't show, you still get paid). Many of the classes are run at the institute (in Microcentro) or at nearby companies. There are teachers that travel for classes, but it is not mandatory; you have the option to reject classes without fearing your job. There is great onda between the teachers, many of whom I am social outside of the institute with.

Consider applying! A certificate (CELTA, TEFL, etc.) is pretty much a necessity.

----

American Forum, Language Institute, founded in 1989, is looking for teachers to join its team.

Requirements:
- graduate or about to graduate Argentine English teachers
- native English teachers with TEFL, TESL, CELTA certification
- proven teaching experience
- available & committed to work part-time or full-time until December 20th, 2013

We offer: professional and supportive atmosphere, teaching materials, in-house training, career opportunities, stability, team-work, interaction with teaching consultant and technology consultant, possibility to take in-house Spanish lessons.

Please forward résumé to: [email protected]

www.american-forum.com

I applied and was accepted there 6 months ago, after a brief interview. At that time they did not require a TEFL nor any teaching experience, although they said they 'appreciated' my U.S.-based doctorate (in physical chemistry, not exactly relevant). They were offering ~46 pesos/hour, with nothing for the travel time to/fro their client companies. The starting pay was same with or without TEFL or experience. I turned them down based on the pay, even though I wasn't in it for the money, just something to do. I recall thinking it's really pretty pitiful/disrespectful to pay so little considering what they bill their client companies, and considering (I think) that we extranjero employees have no benefits nor worker's rights/recourses that Argentine employees typically enjoy. Pero qué sé yo...

I do agree that the company seemed well-run and organized, and cared very much about really teaching in a professional, caring manner. My only issue was with the pay, and the signals it sent.

The good news...Their pay has risen ~16% in six months!
The bad news...During the same period the blue peso/dollar has fallen ~28%
Starlucia you must be laughing :D
- Jim

Yes, I agree with you, Jim-- the pay really should be more given that we receive no benefits. I suppose that I am so happy with the institute (plus the fact that the majority of my income comes from freelance work) that I am not too concerned about the pay.

However, I know that there are institutes that pay significantly lower! Insane to think about given the prices here.

Stephen why dont you explain a bit more - like whether they pay in negro o blanco.
I dont have the faintest idea what the institutes pay, but I dont think the pay here sounds that bad, plus it may actually be a good way to get started in the teaching circuit, perhaps make some contacts and try and get private students.

Its widely known private teachers can be in the norm, around 80-100 pesos per hour and in some cases more (I have colleagues that are charged 110 pesos per hour by their teachers, luckily for them the office covers the lessons!).

Trennod, teacher wages in BA truly are pitiful, in light of conditions, inflation, and living costs. They would be more justifiable in a classroom setting (which allow 7-8 hours of actual work), but each private class might require 30-60 minutes of travel time each way (obviously limiting the amount of classes one can give each day.) Plus, constantly being on the Metro or colectivo (especially in the heat of summer) eventually burns anyone out. To give you a comparative idea of how exploitative the wages are: in BA with a maxed-out schedule, I was making around 4,000 pesos per month... in Madrid, with roughly the same schedule, I'm making 1,500 euros per month (but only paying 300 in rent, and FAR less for food and living expenses.)

Nobody is forced into working as an English Teacher. Many people come to work (illegally) in Buenos Aires as English teachers and experience a different culture. By making an informed choice and educating themselves on the average wages and cost of living anyone should be able to make a decision if it is something they wish to do or not.

If the wages are poor it's most likely because there are lots of people willing to work for those wages - supply & demand. If there are no benefits like health insurance it's probably because the job is probably offered in negro, in the same way they are working illegally and not paying taxes. I can't remember the last time I heard someone complaining because they WEREN'T paying taxes...

Back