Driving from BsAs

cruizes

Registered
We are planning a getaway from BsAs for awhile by rental car. Plan to go to Mendoza Cordoba, Salta and Santiago (Chile).

I have my small dog with me with his proper documentation when he arrived BsAs from USA.

Does anyone know if this will be a simple process with him by car and also the drive from Mendoza to Santiago and back to Mendoza. I noticed that it is a short distance but it says it will take about 5 hours. Are the roads good over the mountain areas? Thanks

Hola cruizes, I can´t help you with that route in particular, but this site might. It´s in spanish, so I hope you can read it, and it provides with maps, opinions of other travelers on the state of the routes, and other useful information.

http://www.ruta0.com/

Can't get into the website. Does anyone know of another one? Thanks

Hello, cruizes...

Give the site another try, perhaps with a different browser. I had no trouble accessing it with Firefox. It is worth it.

I use the site all the time - gives you the best routes, tolls, distances, and even amount of gas needed.

Good luck...

That was the problemo!!! It works great on Google Chrome.

Do you know anything about taking my little dog with me across the ARG/CHILE border?

Thanks for your help

I've never been to Chile but often travel to Uruguay with my dogs. Probably it's the same thing. You may check with the Chilean consulate or with SENASA itself - all animals leaving Argentina must go through SENASA (four-legged ones, I mean...;))

I'm attaching this as a guideline, in case it helps.

To go to Uruguay a dog will need:

-- A valid rabies vaccine - the certificate must be at least a month old, and not more than a year old.

-- A health certificate from a vet, dated not more than ten days before the trip.

Get together
1 - the health certificate,
2 - the original rabies certificate,
3 - a photocopy of that certificate,
4 - a photocopy of your ID.

Then go to SENASA to get the proper exit papers. They will give you the original rabies certificate back, along with the official exit papers for your dog. Remember that those papers are good for TEN DAYS only.

There's a forty peso fee for that, and the whole thing takes under half an hour. Your vet may do this for a fee - mine charges a hundred and fifty pesos, so I do it myself. The only tricky part is remembering the deadlines - the rest is simple.

You may want to check with

SENASA
Unidad Regional Operativa
Paseo Colon 367
(1063 ACD) Ciudad Autonoma
de Buenos Aires
Tel: 054 11-4121-5137
(0054-11) 4121-5000 o 0800-999-2386
[email protected]

cruizes said:
... the drive from Mendoza to Santiago and back to Mendoza. I noticed that it is a short distance but it says it will take about 5 hours. Are the roads good over the mountain areas? Thanks

My daughter drove that way this summer, and took many pictures. From what I saw, the highway is quite good, wide enough for trailer trucks and big long-distance buses. The photos show constant hairpin turns, so probably that's why it takes so long to cover what looks like a short distance. The road crosses the Andes, so it must be quite a drive.

Hope you have a great trip...!

I just recently drove from Mendoza up to Mt. Aconcagua Park which is near the Chilean border. The road was quite good, but it does sometimes get closed due to snowfall in the higher elevations. The ride is very beautiful though.

Try calling the ACA - Automovil Club Argentino. Don't have their phone number, but they have a good road trip desk. They gave me updated information on the road to El Chalten, in Southern Patagonia.

Also, there's a forum member in Mendoza - he should now. His forum name is Mendoza something.

Back