Driving in Argentina. (Non rental cars)

svertj

Registered
Hi everyone.

A question I can’t quite find the info for online so hoping somebody might be able to help.
I’m currently on a tourist visa. My partner (Argentinian citizen) has a car which I’ve been using whilst I’m here.
I have a full UK driving licence and I also have my international driving licence with me. I have a cédula azul registered in my name to the car, along with all insurances and paperwork necessary for the car.

At a random police checkpoint today I had to battle it out with a policemen who was adamant that I’m not legally allowed to drive here as a non resident unless it’s a rental car. After 5 minutes of disputing he sent me on my way… so now unsure myself as I was under the belief that I was perfectly fine driving it.

Any advice or info appreciated!
Thanks

Hi everyone.

A question I can’t quite find the info for online so hoping somebody might be able to help.
I’m currently on a tourist visa. My partner (Argentinian citizen) has a car which I’ve been using whilst I’m here.
I have a full UK driving licence and I also have my international driving licence with me. I have a cédula azul registered in my name to the car, along with all insurances and paperwork necessary for the car.

At a random police checkpoint today I had to battle it out with a policemen who was adamant that I’m not legally allowed to drive here as a non resident unless it’s a rental car. After 5 minutes of disputing he sent me on my way… so now unsure myself as I was under the belief that I was perfectly fine driving it.

Thanks
He wanted a bribe, you can drive a non rental with a valid intl license and blue card.

He wanted a bribe, you can drive a non rental with a valid intl license and blue card.
Thanks for the reply.
I’m not fluent but fortunately my partner was with me at the time to dispute everything, and might be why he let us go. Could be a different story on my own!

I drive a friend's car with only my foreign license. Have been stopped several times at routine check-points, without any trouble.

Your policeman was looking for a bribe. In those circumstances, my mother used to play dumb, and they always let her go. They don't dare "ASK" for a bribe openly, so if you pretend not to know how the game is played, they just wave you on.

Hi everyone.

Thanks
Remember that if your cédula azul is issued with your passport number, and if that number changes when you change passport you have to get a new cédula azul.

We issued the permits for my family with their national ID number, that figures in the passport and on the drivers license. But it took a while to convince them that it was OK. They wanted to issue it with the passport number.

Does the cedula azul still exist? I understood that it doesn't, only the cedula verde, which the foreign driver can use as well.

Anybody can drive on the verde (which is not green anymore) for one year after it was issued. After that only the person on the card can drive on it.

Cédula azul is no longer called that, I think it might be called permiso acompañante but I’m not sure. We issued one in neuquen last week but they still referred to it as the Azul.

But it still exists. And if you have a título digital for the car the process of issuing one is fairly simple. At least in Neuquen province.

maybe a silly question, but is there also a check about your status (irregular vs regular) at those checkpoints?

I doubt that their systems can be cross referenced like that.

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if any other Americans here know where one can get documentation to legalize their US license for the purpose of skipping the 2 year probationary period when getting an Argentine license.

The US Embassy specifically says they cannot legalize some documents, including drivers licenses. So I'm a bit confused as to where one can get this done here. Does anyone here have any experience with that?

Back