Dying in Buenos Aires

Chanda

Registered
I don´t think this inquiry has much to do with the fact that I´ve been losing at Scrabble. Nor, do I really think it has anything to do with not having seen the sun last week... or, being held up at knife point in Palermo. Well, maybe it does. But it´s recently crossed my mind that if you´re planning on living here for the long haul, are you also planning on dying here? I mean it shouldn´t be a surprise that sooner or later, I presume, we´re all going to face eternity. And for some, this encounter may very well happen here, in Buenos Aires. It´s a nice place, so why not here? But, if you don´t plan for it, will you have control over where you end up following your last breath? Will your embassy, like it or not, ship (fly) "you" back to the mother land? If so, on which Airlines? Or, can your passing be planned for so that, if desired, you might arrange where your final resting place will be, for example, as close to Evita as possible? Can this macabre business be found in the Yellow Pages? Or, if you decide to take preemptive control over your gran finale, is there some sort of Kavorkian arrangement available where you can choose when and where you go? After all, why leave it to chance when you can plan ahead? And, will OSDE cover it? When considering the benefits of having an Argentina permanent resident visa, I wonder what other aspects of permanency are involved.

The ENTER/RETURN button is your friend, please don't ignore it.

I know the laws on who gets what of your possessions, assets(houses, apartments, bank accounts, etc.) are quite a bit different than in the states. In the states if you have a will you can designate who gets what. I believe in Argentina the law largely prescribes who gets what, I believe its the same in most Latin countries. Perhaps somebody who knows the specifics will post.

For me I think I will just instruct my relatives to dig a hole in the backyard and save all the fuss and bother.

haha great post, Chanda!! I never really thought of that, but you're right. I always just assumed someone would try to get in contact with my family, and they would have to make the decisions for what to do... In fact, I think that's the way it goes for people who die out of the country. And to make things more difficult, someone usually (I say usually, where am I getting my information? I think I remember reading something about it somewhere...) will have to go claim the body in person.

Something to think about, indeed.

It's a interesting topic but even if i died here i would like to be cremented and brought back to my home town

Back