Easter Island books?

jingles

Registered
Hi

I'm heading to Easter Island for a week in late September and want to get some reading in before I go.

Does anyone have a copy of these books that I could borrow/buy?

'A Companion to Easter Island' by James Grant Peterkin
‘The Mystery of Easter Island’ by Katherine Routledge

I've tried the english-language bookshops here in the city but with no luck.

Thanks for your help!

James

Don't have the books i'm afraid but i was there in Jan and loved it!
you should check out http://www.couchsurfing.org/group.html?gid=22577 for some advice.

We stayed at http://www.rapanuiweb.com/hostaltojika/ which was nice.
They had a car (4WD) that we hired and went round the place.
We also hiked up Orongo and Terevaka. Hanga Roa itself is pretty small and easy to walk around. The Mahina is also quite a nice beer you have to try!

As you are there for a week i recommend you take some dried pasta and a few cans of food out with you as food is damned expensive there (and if you are vegetarian you'll not find much in restaurants apart from dried pasta!)
The Tuna empanadas next to the football pitch are amazing and you can also get some great fresh fruit smoothies!

There is a fresh fruit and veg market everyday in the morning up to midday where you can even get some meat.

We don't have those books either, but there is a 60 minute documentary on the LAN flight (called "The Pride of Rapa Nui") which is a great introduction to the island's history.

When you see Rano Raraku, make sure to hike inside the volcano too. It is well worth it.
The sunrise at Tongariki is also worth the wake up!

Easter Island is amazing--hope you have a great visit!

Hello fellow travelers to ridiculous places. I was myself thinking it was finally time for Antarctica but of course the mild B.A. winter and yesterday's record wind speeds convinced me out of it. Rapa Nui, Galapagos and Fernando de Noronha are my target islands for SA.

Is there at least one snorkeling beach on Easter, maybe a small cove, or am i confusing it with somewhere else.

And has anybody gone to those other remote Chilean islands in between like Sala y Gomez, mas a dentro mas a tierra, Robinson Crusoe i. ?

thanks1

Thanks for your help guys!

I looked into getting to Robinson Crusoe islands earlier in the year. There are a couple of small airlines that fly from an airfield just outside Santiago but I couldn't get any sense out of them when I got in touch. Would be a great place to visit though.

I haven't read of there being any snorkelling on Easter Island.

J

This book is hands down the BEST travel guide for Rapa Nui (easter island) - published by the Easter Island Foundation (buy it direct from them if you can). It absolutely was the difference with my trip there.

And yes there is good snorkelling at a couple of hidden coves (explained in the book), and the diving was great as well.

Have fun, I certainly had an amazing time there.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Easter-Island/dp/1880636255

Back