El Chalten worth it?

mmoon

Registered
Hi all,
I am literally in El Calafate right now, and after a great afternoon at Perito Moreno glacier, I´m trying to figure out what to do tomorrow. I had heard great things about El Chalten, but the cost to get there is astounding. For those of you who have gone, is it worth the high cost of transport and the long drive just to spend the day? If yes, what is the cheapest way to get there? I´ve asked around, and it seems like the going price is about 300 pesos per person. Finally, with only one day, what are the best things to do there? If it´s not worth it, what are some other "don´t miss" things to do here? Thanks for helping with my non-plans!

YES! I have been 4 times. Some of the most beautiful hiking in the world. Very possible to do an easy-moderate day hike. Fitz Roy is there. It is used in Patagonia (clothes) logo. It is amazingly beautiful and the water is from glaciers and you can drink it. Even if you don't hike you can still take in the beauty of it.

Here's a link to some google images of Fitz Roy: http://www.google.com/images?q=fitz...tle&resnum=4&ved=0CE0QsAQwAw&biw=1280&bih=617

There is a pizza place in town with some excellent cordero (lamb) pizza. I know it sounds gross but after a day of hiking it is wonderful.

Back