El Reino on Netflix

MilHojas

Registered
There is a new Argentinean TV series "El Reino" on the Netflix with Diego Peretti and Chino Darin. Have you seen it? What do you think about it?

This article (in Spanish) brings some parallels with "The House of cards".

There is a new Argentinean TV series "El Reino" on the Netflix with Diego Peretti and Chino Darin. Have you seen it? What do you think about it?
This article (in Spanish) brings some parallels with "The House of cards".
Last week I watched the 8-part miniseries (language/Castellano) on a different media player. It did not disappoint me. Claudia Piñeiro is one of my favorite local writers of this genre.
Article by Edi Zunino, current editor-in-chief of the local magazine "Noticias".

Her other books: Las Viudas de los Jueves and Betibú were made into films. I enjoyed both of them.
I chose not to watch "House of Cards". In my opinion, "Borgen" is by far more interesting!

If you get a chance to see the original UK made House of Cards you might find that more to your taste. Made from 1990 onwards so it may appear dated now but with Ian Richardson and Susannah Harked in the cast it is much more "Borgen" than the US version. The writer, Michael Dobbs, was a post-Thatcher Conservative politician who knows where all the bodies are buried and it shows in his scripts.

I just finished watching it- I was rationing myself to one episode a night. Its OK- the acting is pretty great, lots of really talented people. The storyline is sort of a nisman-esque conspiracy thing, in which the bad guys miraculously can tap everyone's phone, follow ever car without getting stuck behind a colectivo, and are all super kung fu fighters with guns in their pants.
But my biggest complaint is that it had so little to do with the real Argentina I live in.
I dont hang out in giant mansions behind tall walls, or in buildings covered in gold leaf and marble with 20 meter ceilings. It was kind of lifestyles of the rich and famous.
And I dont know any Argentine evangelicals- of the dozens of Argentines I know, most are either jews or lapsed catholics, my friends range from 3rd generation Japanese Argentine, to Polish, Russian, and German ancestry, to Hipsters, queers, and artists. None of whom were represented in the series.
I didnt see any of my barrios pictured, it didnt show the city at all.

I much prefer Okupas, the other new netflix series- because it takes place in the real BsAs or maxikioskos, chinos, dirty streets with dog walkers, kids playing futbol in the street at 2am, and people who ride colectivos.
The characters are somewhat stereotyped, but the locations and settings are very real.

I generally watch argentine film and tv to learn swear words, and see the city and country life, not to see remakes of foreign series that are pretty dry to begin with.
One of my favorites was the film Once, about the expat argentine returning to town after 20 years abroad, right into the grit of Once.

I realized the reason I like Okupas is that it is actually from the year 2000, just rereleased on netflix with new music by Santiago from El Mato a un Policia Motorizado. They didnt have to make BA look like its full of garbage and dogs- it was.

I just finished watching it- I was rationing myself to one episode a night. Its OK- the acting is pretty great, lots of really talented people. The storyline is sort of a nisman-esque conspiracy thing, in which the bad guys miraculously can tap everyone's phone, follow ever car without getting stuck behind a colectivo, and are all super kung fu fighters with guns in their pants.
But my biggest complaint is that it had so little to do with the real Argentina I live in.
I dont hang out in giant mansions behind tall walls, or in buildings covered in gold leaf and marble with 20 meter ceilings. It was kind of lifestyles of the rich and famous.
And I dont know any Argentine evangelicals- of the dozens of Argentines I know, most are either jews or lapsed catholics, my friends range from 3rd generation Japanese Argentine, to Polish, Russian, and German ancestry, to Hipsters, queers, and artists. None of whom were represented in the series.
I didnt see any of my barrios pictured, it didnt show the city at all.

I much prefer Okupas, the other new netflix series- because it takes place in the real BsAs or maxikioskos, chinos, dirty streets with dog walkers, kids playing futbol in the street at 2am, and people who ride colectivos.
The characters are somewhat stereotyped, but the locations and settings are very real.

I generally watch argentine film and tv to learn swear words, and see the city and country life, not to see remakes of foreign series that are pretty dry to begin with.
One of my favorites was the film Once, about the expat argentine returning to town after 20 years abroad, right into the grit of Once.

totally agree, the big budget netflix series just don't accurately reflect things. I prefer the more authentic local productions through INCAA etc because you really see the same sort of stuff that you deal with yourself every day. it makes it much easier to connect to the story and characters.

Last week I watched the 8-part miniseries (language/Castellano) on a different media player. It did not disappoint me. Claudia Piñeiro is one of my favorite local writers of this genre.
Article by Edi Zunino, current editor-in-chief of the local magazine "Noticias".

Her other books: Las Viudas de los Jueves and Betibú were made into films. I enjoyed both of them.
I chose not to watch "House of Cards". In my opinion, "Borgen" is by far more interesting!
Netflik is producing a second season of Reino. Her latest book, A Little Luck, has just been released in English.

El Marginal might not be for everyone, but the actor playing the character Diosito is incredible. IMDb gives it an 8.1 rating. Music by the nasal-voiced Argentine rapper L-gante.

Netflik is producing a second season of Reino. Her latest book, A Little Luck, has just been released in English.
PS: In her book "A Crack in the Wall" she has one of her characters, an architect, comment that a building in Recoleta has the most beautiful ironwork in CABA. But she doesn't mention the name of the building! I sent her an email to which she graciously replied that the building she had in mind, is Cavadonga, on Rio Bomba and Arenales. A nice place to sit around. The food, unfortunately, is rather poor.

Netflik is producing a second season of Reino....
Thank you for the heads up! I just located El Reino (The Kingdom) S2 on a different media player.
I now have it on queue to watch all 6 episodes on the next rainy day.

The Kingdom Season 2 Review Does Not Contain Any Spoilers....22 March 2023 by Amin Fatima

Back