Electric shaver plug

Gaucho Sam

Registered
Hello all.

Silly question this. I've got an electric toothbrush, which charges via a plug identical to a UK electric shaver charger. As it's two circular pins, I assumed it'd be the same as the two pin ones here - but it's not. The pins on my plug are about half a millimetre closer together than the holes in the socket.

As it's not a normal, UK three-prong job I thought it safer to ask if anyone knows where I could get a converter to fit it, rather than go into a shop and be told, 'of course it'll fit,' just to get my money. Alternatively, if needs be I could buy a Braun electric toothbrush charger, I suppose, but I've no idea if they even sell them separately (and suspect they'd not be cheap here)...

Some wall sockets, extension sockets or adaptor sockets have a combined round pin/blade connector interface. Often there is more tolerance in the dimensions in these types and I have got a UK two pin plug to work in them before. Maybe your home has some of these and maybe you could just charge your toothbrush in a different room. Alternatively, when you go looking to buy something, take your charger with you and try the fit in the shop - again, you may have more luck with the combined type than the plain round pin version.

Gaucho Sam said:
Hello all.

Silly question this. I've got an electric toothbrush, which charges via a plug identical to a UK electric shaver charger. As it's two circular pins, I assumed it'd be the same as the two pin ones here - but it's not. The pins on my plug are about half a millimetre closer together than the holes in the socket.
You buy an "adaptor multinorma", which costs around AR$6. in a lamp shop - bring your charger just to make sure, one of mine has holes, which are too large.

Thanks, chaps. For six pesos, I may as well go and try to find an adaptor now. I'm staying with a friend at present but move to my own place in just under two weeks. Might be that the plugs there have a bit more 'give' in them, but for the sake of having my toothbrush charged now I may as well spend six pesos...

If you have a UK adaptor you may find that it will allow the use of a shaver plug, I know mine does.

I do and it doesn't.

I have just managed to jam the plug into the socket of my friend's four-way, though, so it looks like I've saved myself those six pesos! Toothbrush is charging, at any rate!

tangobob said:
If you have a UK adaptor you may find that it will allow the use of a shaver plug, I know mine does.

You may have to defeat the shutters, by poking something into the earth pin slot, this will push the shutters down out of the way.

Back