Empanadas: baked or fried?

sergio

Registered
Baked empanadas seem to be the norm, at least around Buenos Aires however when one encounters them in North America they are often fried. I have attributed this to the popularity of fried food in North America. What is your experience - are there many people / places that make FRIED empanadas? I should think that the baked ones are much healthier. Anyone have an idea of the nutrition contents of baked and fried empanadas?

Few places around Palermo sell fried Empanadas IMHO ... Some Deli type places ..
Nutricion? Not to worry I eat empanadas once a month if that much..!
Fritas are twice as dangerous as baked...!!!

The laboratory tests showed that the fried pino/meat empanada registered 112 micrograms of acrylamide per kilo, unlike the baked meat that gave 63 micrograms of acrylamide per kilo.

Los Muchachos de Punto y Banco makes amazing fritos- I especially like the green onion flavor- just off Coronel Diaz on Mansilla. They are very old school- I find that in every barrio, there are older places that offer both fritos and al horno.

Los Muchachos de Punto y Banco makes amazing fritos- I especially like the green onion flavor- just off Coronel Diaz on Mansilla. They are very old school- I find that in every barrio, there are older places that offer both fritos and al horno.

Los Muchachos de Punto y Banca, is a great choice for take out food and also Empanadas Fritas ,,! Don't ask for Fritos..!

Few places around Palermo sell fried Empanadas IMHO ... Some Deli type places ..
Nutricion? Not to worry I eat empanadas once a month if that much..!
Fritas are twice as dangerous as baked...!!!

The laboratory tests showed that the fried pino/meat empanada registered 112 micrograms of acrylamide per kilo, unlike the baked meat that gave 63 micrograms of acrylamide per kilo.
I eat maybe once a month also. I’m partial to cheese and onion empanadas. Coto makes delicious meat fried ones but they’re very popular and sell out quickly.

Acrylamide levels in food vary widely depending on the manufacturer, the cooking time, and the method and temperature of the cooking process (5, 6). Decreasing cooking time to avoid heavy crisping or browning, blanching potatoes before frying, not storing potatoes in a refrigerator, and post-drying (drying in a hot air oven after frying) have been shown to decrease the acrylamide content of some foods (7, 8).

Last edited:
Until today, I did not know such a thing as Acrylamides existed. There are always things to learn in this board.

From what I remember, for a long time empanadas were fried in lard - baked ones arrived later. They may be healthier, but nothing tastes like a fried empanada. Or those wonderful tortas fritas that cheered up rainy days in the country.

I know there are fried empanadas, but are they widespread? I have personally not seen many.

i don't eat a whole lot of empanadas, but i've often found both types.

nutrition wise, the baked ones will always be healthier for a given type of empanada. just less fat involved.

We get both here in neuquen province. Although I would say the baked appear to much more popular.

Baked empanadas can be sent and re-heated. Fried empanadas must be eaten fresh out of the frying pan. They used to be made at home from scratch, and the dough was as tasty as the filling. But nowadays no one has cooks, nor time to make them, so people order them. Fried empanadas don't travel well, so restaurants and takeouts only sell the baked variety.

A true empanada can be had in small eateries in small provincial towns, places too small to have a Coto. There, kitchens come complete with built-in grandmothers or old relatives, busy making empanadas the old way.

Back