Encargadas/Porteros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recoleta Carolina said:
Actually, I am not a sheep at all (can't you tell by my posts?). I just don't enjoy the arguing and the constant bickering back and forth. Argentineans prefer the argument. Cultural differences I suppose. In another thread I think you mention that you are married to someone from the States so I imagine that there is something about our demeanor that you find attractive.

Haha I find my husband´s demeanor very attractive ;) and in all honesty, most Americans I met were critical and would stand for their rights ... of course there is always people that would rather not sweat it, it is a matter of choices as with everything. That si the reason why I asked where you were form RC.

diego7david said:
my portero started using my apt when i was not in town as i live in new york and only am at my apt sometimes. he used it for a love nest. i found the sheets on backward. a cleaning lady found him naked in the shower. he has stolen money and things and there seems to be little sentiment to do anything about it from management or anyone else as its only happening to my apt because everyone else is a porteno and live there everyday. i now have cameras, motion detectors etc new locks with keys at friends not with the portero. a lot of effort, a lot verbal tradeoffs and it doesnt end

I know foreigners who have had identical situations to yours. I also have a friend whose portero was renting out her parking space for much more money than she knew about and he was keeping most of the money. This went on for a long time. Argentina is a country based distrust. You can't trust anyone. And, the nicer you are the more apt you are to be taken advantage of. I am sympathetic to your situation. Unlike many expats who think that if it is not happening to them, well, it just doesn't matter. The problem is that abuse is so rampant in this country and at some point it really does get into the life of all expats. In some form or another. It is just a matter of time.

Argentineans have a horrible reputation in the States and Spain. I never understood why. But, after six years, I really do "get it." I have Argentinean friends in the States who left Argentina long ago to start a new life and they will NOT do business with other Argentineans. They don't trust them.

Same thing happened to me at my last apt which was a luxury apt and owned by an expat. I was away in the US for a month & had given keys to a friend of mine to go over & check on my apt. He was there one night around 11 p.m. and the maid (portero's sister) and her bf let themselves into the apt (thinking that I was out of town).

When I called the owner to discuss, he informed me that it must have been a mistake and that she was just coming to pick something up. Um.. pretty sure there is no need for anyone to be picking something up in my apt at 11 p.m. at night.

I am always cautious with anyone until I have reason to trust them. I am now in a new building and until I am fully comfortable with the porteros, I am holding on to the extra key so that they don't have access to my apartment.

diego7david said:
my portero started using my apt when i was not in town as i live in new york and only am at my apt sometimes. he used it for a love nest. i found the sheets on backward. a cleaning lady found him naked in the shower. he has stolen money and things and there seems to be little sentiment to do anything about it from management or anyone else as its only happening to my apt because everyone else is a porteno and live there everyday. i now have cameras, motion detectors etc new locks with keys at friends not with the portero. a lot of effort, a lot verbal tradeoffs and it doesnt end

Ughhhh sorry to hear this :( As a side note I can tell you that I know Argentines who went through the very same situation, I guess it is not a privilege of expats...

citygirl said:
Same thing happened to me at my last apt which was a luxury apt and owned by an expat. I was away in the US for a month & had given keys to a friend of mine to go over & check on my apt. He was there one night around 11 p.m. and the maid (portero's sister) and her bf let themselves into the apt (thinking that I was out of town).

When I called the owner to discuss, he informed me that it must have been a mistake and that she was just coming to pick something up. Um.. pretty sure there is no need for anyone to be picking something up in my apt at 11 p.m. at night.

I am always cautious with anyone until I have reason to trust them. I am now in a new building and until I am fully comfortable with the porteros, I am holding on to the extra key so that they don't have access to my apartment.

I never give any encargados any extra keys: i would rather give ti to a friend or neighbor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rich One Expat Life 0
Back