English Mustard?

actually I was only in Coto yesterday and they had this little international section of sauces and spices (LITTLE!) and there were a whole lot of amazing mustards! I couldn't believe it.. this is the one in Juramento and amenabar but maybe there is in a few? but.. this section was near the alcohol no way near the standard "sauce section"

I'm not sure i've ever had english mustard. What's the difference between it and dijon?

English mustards, Colemans or the like is much sharper and will give you that burning sensation in lower doses than dijon mustard, it is a brighter yellow and has a more paste like texture. The yellow mustard powder is excellent for cooking.

Dijon mustard contains vinegar and other acidic juices, so is more acidic and rounded than the burning horseradishy bite of Englis mustard.

American mustard is processed yellow ketchup with a high sugar and sodium content.

I prefer french wholegrain mustard, seeds and all, or coleman's english mustard powder for cooking.

American mustard is processed yellow ketchup with a high sugar and sodium content.
You are describing a single brand as in French's Mustard [the yellow stuff] which is similar to whats on the shelves here in AR. However if you observe the mustard section in any good US supermarket you will find a minimum of 50 selections that range from mild to wild and all stops in between not including the imports.

You are describing a single brand as in French's Mustard [the yellow stuff] which is similar to whats on the shelves here in AR. However if you observe the mustard section in any good US supermarket you will find a minimum of 50 selections that range from mild to wild and all stops in between not including the imports.

If they contain paprika & turmeric, that is the generally accepted American style hot dog mustard, anything is the original English style mustard, which no doubt is sold in various guises around the world under various brands.

If they contain paprika & turmeric, that is the generally accepted American style hot dog mustard, anything is the original English style mustard, which no doubt is sold in various guises around the world under various brands.
Not necessarily, the French and Germans both make great mustards, and so do the Americans. IMO.

Nancy

http://www.bratwurst-argentina.com/ their mustard is the bomb! I am addicted to it now. It is spicy and hot, it is just awesome! Puts Savora most others to shame.

Not necessarily, the French and Germans both make great mustards, and so do the Americans. IMO.

Nancy

I never commented on the quality, you people are very sensitive about your mustard !! Honestly, relax people.

Anyway, mustard in Europe became as popular condiment in the 14th century, whereas the 1909 world fair popularised American mustard w/ paprika and turmeric), so I think we're OK to denominate the different flavours as such ! it's ok, your mustard is good mustard, and some of it follows the older recipes, but I'm fairly sure that we're OK to use the terms American Mustard, French Mustard (dijonnaise, maille etc) and English Mustard as a rough guide to the styles without much controversy.

Back