English Speaking Al-Anon Or Acoa Groups?

True believer is evidence-resistant and easily offended.

That's really quite good.

You might get your job back at the fortune cookie factory if you can keep it up.
emo32.gif

PS: Leaving off the "The" at the beginning was a nice touch. Very Chinese!

That's really quite good.

You might get your job back at the fortune cookie factory if you can keep it up.
emo32.gif

PS: Leaving off the "The" at the beginning was a nice touch. Very Chinese!

Must write so that borderline literate person can understand.

Really - someone posted a genuine question about looking for simple information about AA meetings and it has turned into squabbling over religion and insults? New low even for baexpats.

To be precise, the question was not about AA. It was about ACOA and Al-Anon and instantly became a platform for one member who is not actually an expat living in Argentina (and apparently never as been) to brag about taunting religious people who don't drink...and then (once again) an opportunity to insult anyone who believes in God or Jesus (aka a 2000 year-old zombie).

The twelve steps of AA, Al-Anon, and ACOA all mention God, but anyone who is or knows someone who is a member of one of these groups has to be aware of the fact that many members do not talk about God in the same way a church goer does and often refer to their "higher power" instead of God.

I think it is very important for anyone who has never been a member of these groups to know more about them and how they differ from religious organizations. The "God thing" undoubtedly keeps some from ever going to AA and that's truly unfortunate. I have several friends who got (and continue to stay) sober in AA and know several others who quit drinking on their own. I also had several friends die from the consequences of alcoholism. They never found a power greater than themselves, except for the booze.

Hi Guys,

Very interesting back and forth....

But yes, as StevinBsAs mentioned, I'm NOT looking for AA, I'm looking for separate programs called ACOA or Al-Anon, for families and friends of alcoholics - specifically looking for English speaking meetings.

Regardless of your views on recovery and religion, I'd be appreciative if anyone has any information or leads.

Very best,
Margaret

to my knowledge there are no English speaking AlAnon or ACOA groups in Buenos Aires. There are English-speaking AA groups, and you can get info about them in the classified of the Buenos Aires Herald, or on line

Back