English Speaking Al-Anon Or Acoa Groups?

Margaret K

Registered
Hi All,

Does anyone know of any English-speaking Al-Anon or Adult Children of Alcoholics groups that meet in Buenos Aires?

The Argentenian Al-Anon page is slightly helpful, but I can't tell if any of the groups meet in English!

If anyone knows of any, I would greatly appreciate it!

Few years ago someone posted about this subject. Perhaps her name was Rose. Then, there were 2 groups, one in parroquia at the corner of av coronel diaz and juncal, and the other in gran buenos aires, zona norte

Few years ago someone posted about this subject. Perhaps her name was Rose. Then, there were 2 groups, one in parroquia at the corner of av coronel diaz and juncal, and the other in gran buenos aires, zona norte

Every time I hear of one of these, I look forward to my next drink. When the Mormones and Testigos de Jehová show up at the front door, I invite them in for a beer (though I don't drink beer, I always keep some on hand for them).

Every time I hear of one of these, I look forward to my next drink. When the Mormones and Testigos de Jehová show up at the front door, I invite them in for a beer (though I don't drink beer, I always keep some on hand for them).

What do Al-Anon and ACOA have to do with Mormonism or Jehovas Wintesses?

Members of Al-Anon and ACOA are not necessarily religious or members of any church...and they are not necessarily non-drinkers, either.

To a lesser or greater degree, and on an individual basis, members of Al-Anon and ACOA do "follow" a 12 step program and several of the "official" steps (appropriately inspired by the 12 steps of AA) include the word "God." Belief in the supernatural is not a requirement for membership and these groups do not conduct "worship services" of any kind, even if they hold hands and recite the "Lord's Prayer" or the "Serenity Prayer" at the end of each meeting.

What do Al-Anon and ACOA have to do with Mormonism or Jehovas Wintesses?

Members of Al-Anon and ACOA are not necessarily religious or members of any church...and they are not necessarily non-drinkers, either.

To a lesser or greater degree, and on an individual basis, members of Al-Anon and ACOA do "follow" a 12 step program and several of the "official" steps (appropriately inspired by the 12 steps of AA) include the word "God." Belief in the supernatural is not a requirement for membership and these groups do not conduct "worship services" of any kind, even if they hold hands and recite the "Lord's Prayer" or the "Serenity Prayer" at the end of each meeting.

So, petitioning the 2000-year-old-Zombie is not a religious act? http://religionvirus.blogspot.com/2010/04/christian-shocker-god-based-aa-program.html

Even as an atheist with a very critical view on all kinds of religion - this article is so bad and wrong, it can easily compete with the manifests of religious fanatics. Did you even read it or just googled something to prove your point and the headline seemed fitting?

When I hear of AA groups I feel honestly a lot of pity for the concept of medically real, or imagined, of a recovered alcoholic, that is someone who believes, rightly or not, that he or she is not able to handle a drink.

Cheers!

No idea what those two specific sects of Christianity have to do with AA which is decentralized, has no leadership or organization, and only invokes the Almighty because they thought it would help, back in the 30s someone to handle life without ever having a drink, which is understandable.

I think AA is otherwise kinda noxious and I've read a fantastic O'ist endorsed recommendation for alternative (and probably paid) addiction treatments that do not involve faith in the almighty, only in the Federal Reserve

PS Why don't you offer the Mormons some tea instead of beer? Classier and makes evident their irrationality. Bonus point if it's raining and they could really use a devil's temperature infusion.

The original question in this thread was about Al-anon and ACOA, not AA. A person who lives with an alcoholic or has an alcoholic family member faces an entirely different set of problems than the alcoholic. Theirs is not a question of recovery and their ability to "handle" a drink is not an issue.

And neither the Lord's Prayer or the Serenity Prayer involve "petitioning (a) 2000 year old zombie" (also known as Jesus). Neither prayer asks Jesus for anything and the principles of AA are not rooted in Christianity. Praying may be regarded as a "religious act" but even that doesn't mean the person doing the praying (at the end of an AA meeting) believes in God. Perhaps that makes them a "hypocrite" in the opinion of an Atheist, but I sure as hell don't give a damn.

The original question in this thread was about Al-anon and ACOA, not AA. A person who lives with an alcoholic or has an alcoholic family member faces an entirely different set of problems than the alcoholic. Theirs is not a question of recovery and their ability to "handle" a drink is not an issue.

And neither the Lord's Prayer or the Serenity Prayer involve "petitioning (a) 2000 year old zombie" (also known as Jesus). Neither prayer asks Jesus for anything and the principles of AA are not rooted in Christianity. Praying may be regarded as a "religious act" but even that doesn't mean the person doing the praying (at the end of an AA meeting) believes in God. Perhaps that makes them a "hypocrite" in the opinion of an Atheist, but I sure as hell don't give a damn.

True believer is evidence-resistant and easily offended.

Back