English teachers needed?

Carmen Militaru

Registered
Reading some threads it seems the job market is dire, but I'll ask this here anyway. Are the schools open and is there a need for English teachers? I'm looking to come in summer, in November, from England and hoping to teach English for a year. Any advice would be much appreciated.

In the current situation, you won't be setting foot in the country without citizenship, residency or a relationship with someone here. (Such as a spouse, or other close relative.) And even if you do meet that criteria, you now have to deal with the current 600 person per day limit being allowed into the country. I know you are looking into the future, not today, but I just don't think Argentina fixes this mess soon enough to accommodate your needs.

Please prove me wrong Argentina!

Unless you are looking for the specific experience of teaching in a school I'd recommend teaching online instead.

Market is saturated but the USD you can earn online will go far further than the pesos you will earn in a school.

Reading some threads it seems the job market is dire, but I'll ask this here anyway. Are the schools open and is there a need for English teachers? I'm looking to come in summer, in November, from England and hoping to teach English for a year. Any advice would be much appreciated.

If you're just looking to have a long working holiday in Argentina, teaching English locally is not really a practical option. Even outside the pandemic, there is low demand and a lot of competition.

If you're just looking to teach English for a year somewhere in South America, try Chile. The government directly recruits English teachers and teaching assistants and places them throughout the country. The program is currently suspended due to covid, but here's the link: http://centrodevoluntarios.cl/.

Colombia has a similar program, but it is much less organized, and you have to get in touch with schools yourself to get a position.

Or teach remotely like most people are doing now, and live wherever you want.

I'm not sure as a Brit, I would come here to teach English. Argentine people still remember the Malvinas war every year.
Those wounds don't seem to heal

Which is ironic, because if there was another Malvinas invasion, the Argentines would be much better off.

and by another Malvinas invasion, I mean, that the Falklands invade and take over Argentina.

If Argentina was ruled by the Falklands, Argentina would be in a much better situation.

Malvinas invasion - that the Falklands invade and take over Argentina.

If Argentina was ruled by the Falklands, Argentina would be in a much better situation.

You are really lucky that you live in this incredibly free country. On many countries of the planet, just saying this "harmlessly - online" - would charge you for, what is called "sedition" and you would be put behind bars for encouraging sedition, after tracking you down. And sounds, even worse, as a Foreigner.

$800,000 cash in a suitcase from Hugo Chavez to fund Kirchner's campaign in 07?
Millions in K-Money embezzled from the people of Argentina for personal gain?

Seems like foreign interference and 'sedition' to me. Apparently, sedition is a pre-requisite to become vice president!!

oh and don't forget the prosecutor who mysteriously died while going after the Kirchners.

yeah, a great free country! with a government so incompetent their treasury cant even print enough cash/change for its markets/stores to keep the economy functioning. Yes! Stores literally beg you for small denomination bills here -because there is a major shortage!!!

oh and did you catch Ceviche's comment? Basically I'm lucky that Argentina is not like North Korea, Turkmenistan, Iran, or Venezuela!

That is the measure of why people in Argentina should consider themselves lucky...because Argentina isn't like one of those countries.

That is the mentality here. Way to reach for the stars people.

Last edited:
Unless someone is running down the middle of Buenos Aires screaming "THE FALKLAND ISLANDS ARE BRITISH!!" I don't think anyone from the UK will have problems in Argentina.

Argentinians are intelligent enough to differentiate governments from ordinary citizens.

Unless someone is running down the middle of Buenos Aires screaming "THE FALKLAND ISLANDS ARE BRITISH!!" I don't think anyone from the UK will have problems in Argentina.

Argentinians are intelligent enough to differentiate governments from ordinary citizens.

OMG - I would pay good money to watch that and see the reactions of onlookers. That would be so much fun.

Back