English teaching advice - how to find students

EDC

Registered
Hi all, I have read a few posts before on here by English teachers past and present and was wondering is anybody could give me advice on the best way to go about finding private English students.
My girlfriend is Portena and a qualified English teacher and teaches at a school and an institue and we are hoping to find private students to teach together as well. I think we could offer really good classes - she has the materials, grammatical knowledge and teaching methods and I can offer conversation, pronunciation, corrections and help more advanced students but where do we start?!
Many thanks, Ed

1. ask friends of friends of friends...word of mouth
2. post on the university noticeboards
3 put ads in places like craigslist/mundo annuncio
4. finally, when in rome, do as the locals do. Notices in the street. It's how I've found students in the past.

Reactions: EDC
EDC said:
Hi all, I have read a few posts before on here by English teachers past and present and was wondering is anybody could give me advice on the best way to go about finding private English students.
My girlfriend is Portena and a qualified English teacher and teaches at a school and an institue and we are hoping to find private students to teach together as well. I think we could offer really good classes - she has the materials, grammatical knowledge and teaching methods and I can offer conversation, pronunciation, corrections and help more advanced students but where do we start?!
Many thanks, Ed
firstly,are you a qualified English teacher?:rolleyes:

Hello...Where I live there's constant demand of English teachers, if you're willing to commute. "Clases a domicilio" are charged btw $80 & $100 pesos, so if you get a private std 2 hours 1 time a week...do the math.
I'll let you know if you want me to

Howard - No I'm not qualified but my girlfriend has a degree in teaching english (not a 1 month TEFL certificate) and also studied translation for about 8 years and is very experienced. The idea is that we teach classes together, that way the student would get her considerable expertise as well as access to a native speaker to practice with. I wouldn't take students solely by myself as I am well aware that to speak a langauge doesn't mean you can teach it, but together I reckon we have all bases covered and could offer something pretty good.

MissVeronica - sounds interesting. Were is it you live? Travelling is OK with me but would have to check with my girlfriend as she already teaches at a school and institute but hasn't got her timetable for this year yet so not sure how much free time she will have. But if you could send me a messages with any more details you have, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Ed

I live in Del Viso,Partido de Pilar. FromPuente Saavedra yo can hop on the 57 bus and it will leave you right here

Back