ensuring return of rental deposit?

dutara

Registered
Hello all.
I have stayed in BA twice before in sub-let furnished apartments for periods of several months. Both times I have run into difficulties when it came to getting my deposits refunded. No dire losses, but the last time I strongly suspect I nearly lost the entire deposit (1 month's rent) due to a planned accident.

I hope to get a sublet in Dec or January and am trying to figure out a way to not get rooked. Is there some sort of escrow process that can be used, other than simply trusting the owner to do the honorable thing when you leave? Then, of course, can the escrow entity be trusted?

I'm not looking for a discussion of whether landlords/agents/et al can be trusted, just looking for a way to not be cheated in a situation where the place is being handed back with all furnishings intact. Let's save stories of being charged an exorbitant amount to replace a water glass for another thread.

Don´t pay the last month, so then you are in a better situation to deal with. Regards

Planned accident??

It's a good idea to do a walkthrough inspection, take photos, and write down all the flaws before signing a contact, just as you'd do with a rental car...

In local 2-years contracts, it's usual having a one-month-deposit, and in case of not renewing for another period, the deposit it's used to pay last month.

So, I'm agree with Bajo_cero

I don't know what a planned accident is either?

Your landlord or agent should provide you with a signed contract and an inventory of the property. Taking pictures is a good idea as well. Many people arrange to check out a day before leaving so that if there is any issue, you have a day to resolve it.

Witholding rent is NOT acceptable and frankly, if you were a tenant in an apt and didn't pay the rent, the owner is well within his rights to toss you out. What happens if you have damaged the apt? By withholding the rent, you are breaking the contract and additionally, not acting in an ethical manner.

citygirl said:

Witholding rent is NOT acceptable and frankly, if you were a tenant in an apt and didn't pay the rent,

"Citygirl"

You are right. I'm not saying to withold but to arrange paying the last period with the deposit

citygirl said:

Your landlord or agent should provide you with a signed contract and an inventory of the property. Taking pictures is a good idea as well. Many people arrange to check out a day before leaving so that if there is any issue, you have a day to resolve it.

Witholding rent is NOT acceptable and frankly, if you were a tenant in an apt and didn't pay the rent, the owner is well within his rights to toss you out. What happens if you have damaged the apt? By withholding the rent, you are breaking the contract and additionally, not acting in an ethical manner.

Citigirl...how do you expect to enforce the contract? He can kick you out after a trial only. You are defending yourself against somebody who usually is taking advantage from you. So, if you don´t pay last month the landlord can keep the deposit as well. If when the contract is finished you has to give something to him, you just pay and that`s it.
Deposit frauds are usual here, specially when the contract says that the deposit will be given back after you give the keys back, if your contract says so, it is a fraud. Deposits never was given back to me. So, I just don´t pay last month and that´s it.

Regards

Thanks for all the responses so far.
An example of a possible planned accident: a person picks up your wallet and puts it in their pocket. As they're walking away, you say "hey, that's my wallet!"
"Oops! I thought it was mine. Sorry"

Yes, mistakes happen. Some people tend to be more prone to making this kind of mistake, and sometimes you may be able to predict it.
Of course, no one would really do such a thing, all a misunderstanding, etc :rolleyes:

Back