entering Argentina without a return ticket

Diskosis

Registered
I'm here in Argentina at the moment, but will be taking the same aerolineas flight as mentioned below back to Aus in March. (I've done it a couple of times before without any major problems, just a few hours delay.)

I'm still on a tourist visa (currently expired - I will pay the fine when I leave). I plan to buy a return ticket BA-Syd-BA and also have pre-purchased a ticket on the ferry to Colonia within 3 months of the return date. I am hoping this complies with the rules about not entering the country on a one-way ticket. Does anyone know if I'm likely to have any problems, either at the check-in in Sydney, or at immigrations when I land in BA? i.e. is an ongoing ticket sufficient, or do you think they'll hassle me because I don't have a return ticket to Australia? I would prefer to avoid any lengthy conversations with immigration on the Argentine side, because I have about 8 trips to Colonia stamped in my passport, plus my current 1 year visa overstay.

I have never had a problem with not having a return ticket, but you never know here..
I dont think the airline will stop you getting on the plane in Aus as you dont need a visa to come here..
And i have known a few other aussies who have come here without a return, and 1 friend who pays for all his tickets using air-miles/points so it doesnt make any difference if he as return on one way, return is twice as many points as one way, and he has been here 4 times now on one-way flights from aus since 2007..

A couple of days ago I had the same issue only coming from the US. From all of the responses I've read, it's pretty easy coming to Argentina with a one way ticket. One person even said that you can just tell them that you are planning on leaving the country via bus.

Trabano said:
A couple of days ago I had the same issue only coming from the US. From all of the responses I've read, it's pretty easy coming to Argentina with a one way ticket. One person even said that you can just tell them that you are planning on leaving the country via bus.

I have PERSONAL experience with airline regulations that prevent you from boarding a plane without a return ticket to somewhere.

It is NOT an immigration issue, it IS an airline policy issue. They are responsible for you if you were to be denied entry at your port of destination.
Contact YOUR airline and ask someone who can answer your question instead of looking for guesses from people who can't really tell you!

Or just buy a one-way refundable ticket to Montevideo or Santiago, turn it in after you get here, and save yourself a LOT of anxiety and perhaps inconvenience.

My 2 cents...

David

Thanks for your help guys. Dave, my question was not actually whether I would try to enter the country with no onward ticket, it's whether an onward ticket is sufficient. I will absolutely be buying a Buque ticket within 90 days of my arrival back. I have already contacted the airline and they assured me it was fine. I just don't want to encounter any problems with someone at the check-in who doesn't know the rules properly (which is why I'll print out the email they sent me), and I would prefer to avoid any dramas with immigration once I land.

As Captdave answered - it is an airline policy, not a governmental policy. So if your airline says its okay, you should be fine. However, many airlines won't do it because as he said, if you are denied entry for any reason, they have to transport you back.

I flew here about a month ago on a one-way Aeromexico ticket I purchased on Orbitz. My origin was Los Angeles with a layover in Mexico City and final destination EZE. I had no problems with the airline and certainly none from immigration over here, who merely glanced at me and waved me through. This was just my experience. Good luck

Who are you flying out of Australia with? My only experience of not be allowed to board a plane until I purchased a return was with British Airways at Sydney airport. As everyone else says, it is an airline 'thing'. Doubt very much that you'll be asked when you land in Argentina for proof (especially in these days of e-tickets...noone carries around their return flight documents anymore). If there is a problem in Australia I would just tell them you're backpacking and moving on by bus.

Back