Entering US Embassy with expired tourist visa?? HELP!

nona

Registered
Hello All!
My 90 day tourist visa just recently expired, and usually I wouldnt care about that and just pay the 300 pesos at the airport, but this time is a little different. My fiance (argentine) and I are in the middle of a fiance visa, which means that we will be having an interview at the US Embassy here shortly.

My question is, will they let me into the Embassy if I have an expired tourist visa, or will it cause any problems? And I dont want to give them ANY reason whatsoever to deny us our visa as we have been waiting FOREVER for this.

Now, the other part of this is, today we went to migraciones to renew my visa (I read online that you can renew an expired tourist visa up to 10 days after, no problems) we basically went around in circles while we were there. Supposedly you can only get a turno to renew your visa from 730-830am, and they only give out 80 turnos. They also told us that since my visa was already expired I would have to pay the 300 pesos + 150 pesos as a sort of fine. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, has anyone gone to colonia with an already expired tourist visa? Do you still pay the 300 pesos?

ANY HELP will be much appreciated!! Thank you

You dont need a turno, go there:
IMGP0337.jpg

Regards

nona said:
Now, the other part of this is, today we went to migraciones to renew my visa (I read online that you can renew an expired tourist visa up to 10 days after, no problems) we basically went around in circles while we were there. Supposedly you can only get a turno to renew your visa from 730-830am, and they only give out 80 turnos. They also told us that since my visa was already expired I would have to pay the 300 pesos + 150 pesos as a sort of fine. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, has anyone gone to colonia with an already expired tourist visa? Do you still pay the 300 pesos?

Do you remember the website where you read you can renew a tourist visa up to 10 days after? I've never heard of this being done.

You will definitely have to pay the $300 peso fine. The $150 extra is news to me. About two months ago a member posted about going to migraciones after his 90 day visa expired. He paid the $300 pesos and was given a receipt that included an order that he leave the country within ten days. If he waited past the ten days he would have to pay an additional $300 when he left. I don't know how much time had elapsed between the expiration of his visa and his visit to migraciones. I think it was more than 30 days.

nona said:
Hello All!
My 90 day tourist visa just recently expired, and usually I wouldnt care about that and just pay the 300 pesos at the airport, but this time is a little different. My fiance (argentine) and I are in the middle of a fiance visa, which means that we will be having an interview at the US Embassy here shortly.

My question is, will they let me into the Embassy if I have an expired tourist visa, or will it cause any problems? And I dont want to give them ANY reason whatsoever to deny us our visa as we have been waiting FOREVER for this.

Stay away from immigration in Retiro ! They will only cause you problems !

Bajo_cero2 said:
You dont need a turno, go there:

An advance turno might not be required, but the policy is to only give out 80 numbers per day (up from 50 in the past). If they give out all the numbers between 7:30 and 8:30 that's supposedly all for the day. It's cruel and unusual punishment if they do as that would entail a multiple hour wait for those with the higher numbers. I know some individuals have gone at noon and received attention almost immediately, but that has to be an a "slow" day.

Johnny said:
Stay away from immigration in Retiro ! They will only cause you problems !

Only those extending a 90 day tourist visa for the first time should consider going to Retiro...and they should not plan on going back unless they are applying for or renewing a resident visa.

It is good that you are trying to comply to a country´s law at least...

FWIW I went to montevideo on a 5 month overrun tourist visa. Walked up stairs through migrations fully prepared to pay the fee but not beg to pay it. Exit stamp, entry stamp, no fee no hassle.

nona, chill o tranquiloooo! It is not the US's responsibility to enforce Argentine law, and it would be incredibly inappropriate to do that. I would have already gotten in trouble if that was the case at the US Embassy, cough, cough. (I am not a total beluda disclaimer: But to be fair to my fab Arg bros and sisters, I am not claiming a callous disrespect of your laws. My legal visa here for a university degree program is in tranmite thanks to the stupidly slow FBI antecedentes process. And while they are not Migraciones, I am acting in accordance the advice of the International Office of the school. Though they had no idea the FBI file would take this long to get. Thank you, thank you for not criminalizing my actions in the process--a measure of respect my country would not return. So I really appreciate it!!)

The only problem that it could remotely cause you might be if they the US immigration people want to grill you on your law abiding-ness. But if you have all the documentation, maybe some letters from family, I sure hope they won't give you heck!

Are you all planning on getting married within 90 days or do you know about a loophole I do not? I read on some pdf document about the visa that you have to make a sworn statement that you will get married in 90 days. dang! I just want to take my fiance to visit family first and not have a flash wedding, but they told me that was a tourist visa. blah!

Back