Erotic act in chamber of deputies session

The story has gone international now. It's on the front page of Russia Today.

The part about this that surprises me is that my Peronista/Kirchnerista friends are so brutally unforgiving. They are furiously angry and want him crucified upside-down.

Perhaps it's because I make my living in front of a webcam, but I am sympathetic and inclined to forgiveness. It was a woman and not a boy. He was kissing her, not killing her. I would perhaps just sentence him to spend half an hour being lectured by Cristina about what an idiot he is. Surely this would be a punishment horrible enough to make sure he never does anything like that again.

I think they realize just how bad and frivolous it looks at a time of crisis. They know they are a small minority in the polls now and doomed to loose the next elections if they can’t turn the tide on their image. If I was a K, I would also be furious about yet another blow to the image.

If these were “normal” times and there were not so many unpopular and serious scandals going around in just a few short months, I would also be inclined to have a laugh and foregive. But in this context it shows exactly where the priorities of some politicians are when we need 100% focus on the crisis at hand. Breast implants and motor boating.

I think they realize just how bad and frivolous it looks at a time of crisis. They know they are a small minority in the polls now and doomed to loose the next elections if they can’t turn the tide on their image. If I was a K, I would also be furious about yet another blow to the image.

If these were “normal” times and there were not so many unpopular and serious scandals going around in just a few short months, I would also be inclined to have a laugh and foregive. But in this context it shows exactly where the priorities of some politicians are when we need 100% focus on the crisis at hand. Breast implants and motor boating.

Can you offer some documentation for the assertion I have bolded above? If so, I'd be interested to see who paid for the poll.
Here's a great lesson in how polls work -

Fact One - Cristina herself has a solid base of support that reaches some 35-40% of the electorate.
Fact Two - Argentine administrations always do well in their first mid-term election; the exact opposite of the USA. There's only been one notable exception since the return of Democracy.

Can you offer some documentation for the assertion I have bolded above? If so, I'd be interested to see who paid for the poll.
Here's a great lesson in how polls work -

Fact One - Cristina herself has a solid base of support that reaches some 35-40% of the electorate.
Fact Two - Argentine administrations always do well in their first mid-term election; the exact opposite of the USA. There's only been one notable exception since the return of Democracy.

Según la encuesta, si las elecciones legislativas fueran hoy, solo el 35% votaría al Frente de Todos y el 48,7% estaría dispuesto a votar a “otra fuerza política”. Solo el 16,3% declaró que no sabe/no contesta. Los guarismos van en paralelo con la imagen presidencial, que sin la variable neutra está en 56,1% de imagen negativa contra 41,4% de imagen positiva. En cuanto a Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, su imagen negativa es de 63,6% y la positiva de 29,1% y neutra 6,4%.

Not sure how recent the "fact" that Cristina is 35-40% of the polls is... she, together with Macri, only have about 20-something% positive ratings making them both the least popular politicians in Argentina in the past months since the start of the pandemic.

If not for polls, is there a better gauge to go off before the elections next year?
Likewise there has never been a pandemic on top of an economic crisis since the return of democracy, so not sure how past precedents can actually be a thing in 2020/1.

Según la encuesta, si las elecciones legislativas fueran hoy, solo el 35% votaría al Frente de Todos y el 48,7% estaría dispuesto a votar a “otra fuerza política”. Solo el 16,3% declaró que no sabe/no contesta. Los guarismos van en paralelo con la imagen presidencial, que sin la variable neutra está en 56,1% de imagen negativa contra 41,4% de imagen positiva. En cuanto a Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, su imagen negativa es de 63,6% y la positiva de 29,1% y neutra 6,4%.

Not sure how recent the "fact" that Cristina is 35-40% of the polls is... she, together with Macri, only have about 20-something% positive ratings making them both the least popular politicians in Argentina in the past months since the start of the pandemic.

If not for polls, is there a better gauge to go off before the elections next year?
Likewise there has never been a pandemic on top of an economic crisis since the return of democracy, so not sure how past precedents can actually be a thing in 2020/1.

Thanks for the answer, and you do make legitimate points. But in this country of many political parties, where a President can be elected with only 41% of the popular vote, 35% in a poll conducted by your political enemies is more than "a small minority". I do understand, we Americans are used to thinking in binary terms of only 2 parties, but there were 6 candidates in the last presidential election.

Your point about the pandemic is a good one, and people are unhappy with their governments all over the world. In any case, we have a year until the mid-terms, so let's wait and see what happens.

Wait, wait, wait! Grapes of Wrath had naughty bits, like Portnoy's Complaint? They didn't read that part to us in school
;-) I doubt if you held it on its spine a used copy would fall open there: it was all rather grim. SPOILER ALERT if this volume is on your personal Mt Toberead, look away now...

During the last pages, one of the migrant workers gives birth. The child is stillborn. That night the family seek shelter in a hut where they find a boy and an old man dying of starvation. The bereaved mother breastfeeds the dying man.

There: I told you not to read on.

Back