Etiquette. You Take A Taxi, I Take The Bus. Who Pays What?

[sub]Obviously each situation & person may be differently, but I dont think there is a problem taking the bus in this situation, just be honest and tell your friend your wanting to save money. I find Argies are very understanding when it comes to any decision made with the outlook of saving a few pesos. [/sub]

[sub]As to the public transport vs taxis, when I came here as a tourist I took taxis everywhere but since I started living here and dont have a car, cant justify spending taxis on all my travel. I catch the Subte sparingly cause I live between Las Heras and Libertador so buses work better for me, especially given they are basically free!! Libertador (which 130 takes me straight in to work) and Las Heras which meets basically all of my other needs. At night, for getting somewhere if I am with friends and a group of a few often well take a cab and split it but if its just me and someone else / gf etc well take bus on the way and taxi way back. [/sub]

I have faced this situation many times in recent months. I normally take 4-5 cab rides a day. My legs are usually too sore doing squats to think of walking many blocks! My problem starts when people want to share the cab. I just hate it! I am neither looking to save some money and neither I want to assist 'friends" in saving money. I don't want to sound mean, but i prefer my private space. When a buddy says "Hey, lets share the ride!" I am normally speechless/ tongue tied. I never say "No". But I hate it.

The reasons I hate it :

1. Some times they pay more than half making me feel guilty.

2. Some times they pay less than half making me feel cheated

3. Some times taxi takes a detour to drop them first and I feel my valuable time is wasted

4. Some chica buddy just do not offer to contribute and I feel taken for a ride.

5. Some chica buddy do offer to pay half, but i feel obliged to say "No" and act chivalrious!

6. Sometimes, if I am getting down first , its hard if I do not have change making me obliged to hand over more or less than half making me feel mad or guilty either way.

Long story, short, I dislike sharing cab rides but hardly ever refuse for sake of good manners.

P.S : I have yet to understand the bus system in 5 yrs!

I literally thought this was a joke post at first. smh...

I literally thought this was a joke post at first. smh...

If you have some problem with my posts, you can come and meet me.

And when you meet me, tell me in detail, what all you found funny.

Unless you were born tied at the hip, feel free to make your way to destination, on your time and dime.

If sharing a cab, state in advance how much are you willing/can to contribute to the adventure.One mostly takes the bus out of necessity, not pleasure. Don't feel obliged to spend more than what you would/can for the other party's convenience.

If being invited to ride along, enjoy the ride.

Segregated by concrete curbs/dividers, where I've seen them, the new ones anyway.

I saw a short video on the internet last week where a guy was stopping a vespa driver who was occupying the bike lane with his motorized bike why he thought he could use the bike lane with impudence. The guy kind of shrugged and made some (what appeared to be) half-embarrassed reply that I couldn't make out and sped off. Heh.

I'm all for bike lanes. In fact, the advent of increased, secured lanes has made me think about getting a bike, which I never would have done previously here in the city. As a car driver, however, I notice (with dismay) that some of the narrower streets have really become compromised because of the width the lanes take up, along with cars always parked along one side of the street, and the new trash bins that are placed IN the STREET, on just about EVERY BLOCK, at least around Centro, Recoleta, etc.

If you have some problem with my posts, you can come and meet me.

And when you meet me, tell me in detail, what all you found funny.

i thought it was a joke also.

what type of response is that? Trying to be intimidating?

I have no problem meeting you.

Ill sow what a real man looks like and how he fights you freak

P.S : I have yet to understand the bus system in 5 yrs!

What could possibly be so difficult about the bus system that 5 years wasnt enough to figure it out? Id suggest buying a guia-t, but with all the complications sharing a cab ride has for you, id doubt youd enjoy the bus much anyway.

Back