Evaporating Movistar Credit

Many thanks everybody.

Great feedback. For now my solution is don't buy credit, or if I do. I buy a card and don't top it up until I need it.

I use skype to make calls, very cheap and wifi covers all texting etc :p

Will be following the advice listed above to find out exactly what's happening,

Thanks again

Well, thanks to this thread, my phone is now working again.
I took the advice here, opened an account at the Movistar page and explained my problem. Today, the annoying ringtone that I NEVER signed up for is gone and I magically have credit again. I didn't think this was possible since I use a pre-paid 'free' card, but nope: I can now see my account balance and whatever charges online. And, as I mentioned before: I can also MAKE CALLS! Who'da thunk it?

I got a new phone line with Claro today, and did not require any contract. The guy said they recently changed their policies to allow folks here temporarily to get monthly plans without long term contracts. May be worth checking out, as evaporating credit adds up. I got a $140/month plan for unlimited calls to other Claro members, 200mins to other networks, 100 or 200 SMS (can't remember exactly) and unlimited data.

It isn't just movistar credit that vanishes here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU5xhtnVQMk

Always buy AT LEAST AR$40 and preferably AR$50 at a time. I'm sitting on more than AR$750 of credit because;

1) I always buy at least AR$50.
2) I buy on TRIPLE credit day.
3) I always re-up before a month has passed.
4) I use "Whatsapp" rather than texting.

Phone service here is a joke compared to the prices in Yanquilandia.

Napoleon, are you saying that if you keep topping it up, you keep ahead of the expiry date of the credit?

I got a new phone line with Claro today, and did not require any contract. The guy said they recently changed their policies to allow folks here temporarily to get monthly plans without long term contracts. May be worth checking out, as evaporating credit adds up. I got a $140/month plan for unlimited calls to other Claro members, 200mins to other networks, 100 or 200 SMS (can't remember exactly) and unlimited data.
That is very interesting. So you got the $140 claro control plan without the 2 year commitment?

Back