even higher ATM fees

Diskosis

Registered
So I took out money this morning and was charged 15 pesos for the transaction!

I didn't read all of the previous thread about ATM fees, but when I went back to Australia recently, I checked with my bank and they told me that the type of account I have means that I should not be charged anything for overseas transactions.

Does anyone know of a way around the fees?

Diskosis

Registered
What does that mean exactly, Liam? If I draw out money from my credit account from a Citi ATM I won't be charged the fee?

Liam3494

Registered
Not quite - What you have to do is put your credit card into credit, by paying into it, so you have a credit balance, i.e. they owe you money! Then when you use Citi ATM's here, you don't get charged the 15 peso, nor do I pay commission on the transaction with my credit card company, but I can only speak on that part for my own Bank of Ireland service provider, that may not be the case with other companies...., but from what I gather from others who have tried this, they certainly don't pay the 15 peso fee.

Karly

Registered
After spending many hundreds of dollars last year on withdrawal fees, my husband and I closed our accounts at Citibank and Washington Mutual, and while back in San Francisco opened up an account with a small local bank which refunds ALL transaction fees at ALL ATMs (domestic and foreign). Check out your local bank back home - maybe they'll offer you the same perks. (p.s. it feels good to abandon the nasty big banks!)

viajera24

Registered
It is really insane that the prices have gone up so fast! Spending 15,50 pesos everytime I get cash is a lot! I guess I should also try to use my credit card... Hopefully the prices won't go up even more.

SaraSara

Registered
One of my credit cards charges 3% for overseas use, and the other charges 1%, which is what my bank charges for ATM withdrawals.