Everything About Sending Money Out Of Argentina

Amigos,

I managed to sell my Condo en Cordoba but the "gestiones" took too long and I had to bail Argentina after 3 weeks there. Work was calling me. The funds can be wired indeed with no real limits on the amount.

Now I was not present when the Sale happened which complicated things badly. If you give the "Poder" to someone to complete the sale of a property, make sure the "escribana" specifies that the individual can manage and wire those funds with your permission. That was an oversight on the "escribana" We had to deposit the $$ en Pesos.

TonyDiaz.....thank you for the follow-up post. Very useful information re: power of attorney.
Why did you have to deposit $$ in Pesos?
Which ARG bank did you use to wire the funds to the US?

I'm planning to sell my depto in Bs. As and trying to figure out how to transfer money to the US.
As pointed above, it looks that in theory the things are much easier now.
However, the procedure is not very clear.
I went to my Banco Nacion and was told they can't do it (verbatim: "mucho lio") and suggested to go to a private bank
Now the question is which private bank ? Rio, HSBC , BBV , Galicia ? How much do they charge ?
What will be the procedure and what docs I'll need. Do they all know how to do it, or it's better to open an account at some specific branch ?
Also when opening a banking account they ask if I'm a foreign resident. I think I can qualify as either resident or not.
What are the implications of declaring myself as foreign resident ?
Here are some documents I found:
- https://www.santanderrio.com.ar/ban...r-y-transferir/transferencias/internacionales
It mentions only "transferencias por servicios " and "transferencias por Ayuda Familiar " (limited to small monthly amount)
- HSBC has a word document : www.hsbc.com.ar/ar/pdf/cmb/CI_EgresosA4.doc
that has a section "DDJJ para NO RESIDENTES en la República Argentina" that mentions some monthly limit

Please share your knowledge and experience.

Hola!

So I'm in a bit of a different situation but have gathered lots of info from here.

Short story - I'm Argentinian by birth but have lived in the US most of my life, am a US citizen, married to an American, no plans to move to BA permanently. A family member in BA passed away suddenly and now I'm arranging to sell her apartments.

TonyDiaz - your info re: power of attorney was very helpful.

I'm applying for a DNI as soon as I get there, my escribana is a family friend and is setting up the paperwork, so should theoretically get that quick. I'm trying to figure out if I need to set up a bank account in ARG to then wire the funds once its sold?

Or can I go to a private bank there that has a relationship with BofA here and have them transfer funds?

Appreciate any info, thank you!!

Hola!

So I'm in a bit of a different situation but have gathered lots of info from here.

Short story - I'm Argentinian by birth but have lived in the US most of my life, am a US citizen, married to an American, no plans to move to BA permanently. A family member in BA passed away suddenly and now I'm arranging to sell her apartments.

I'm applying for a DNI as soon as I get there, my escribana is a family friend and is setting up the paperwork, so should theoretically get that quick. I'm trying to figure out if I need to set up a bank account in ARG to then wire the funds once its sold?

Or can I go to a private bank there that has a relationship with BofA here and have them transfer funds?

Hola!

Hi LKit,
I heard that one way to easily transfer money is to buy argentine stocks that trade in NewYork. You buy them in Argentina with pesos (or dollars, I guess) and sell them in the US, and are paid with dollars. I'm in your same situation about inherited property. I have no idea how what I'm saying would work, I've never owned stocks. But it's something that I will research if the property I inherited ever sells. Another possibility could be to find a buyer in the US and be paid in the US using an escrow company in the US. I've no idea how that would work either. But I guess that there has to be Argentines in the US that would like to own property in BsAs. If that person could be found, the transaction would make it easy for buyer and seller because money would not have o be transfered between countries. But again, I have no idea how feasible all this I have said would be. Good luck!

Back