Exchange Rate Robbery or Reasonable?

Utopos

Registered
Since I can't buy U.S. dollars, my landlady agreed to accept pesos. Unfortunately she says she can get 4.80 pesos per dollar, but will generously accept only 4.60. This is a far cry from the approximately 4.24 listed on DolarHoy and the http://www.bcra.gov.ar/estadis/es030104.asp website. That last URL sounds fairly official.

Is there a way I can defend against this? Does anyone have any suggestions? (that don't involve bending over por favor ;=) I want to be fair with her, but not THAT fair!

Whatever. Bully for her that she can get 4.80 on the black market -- the official exchange rate (and hence the only one you're responsible for) is what Banco de la Nacion says it is. I'd tell her to take it or leave it.

Yes, tell her to take it or leave it at 4.25 to the $!
Me and my housemates had the same situation with a prospective landlord who wanted to charge us 4.8-5 to the $. Luckily he relented and now we are happily installed in our apartment paying the official exchange rate.
If you are doing a long-term rental you have a stronger argument too - you are not a tourist who is muling lots of dollars from your home country, you are a resident in a country that has a peso currency so you should be allowed to pay in pesos!
(Rant over :) )

Tell her the fact that she can't buy dollars in not your problem. The currency in Argentina is the peso. If she wants dollars it is up to her to buy them at whatever rate she wants. However, the official rate is 4.25 (4.26 if you want to be generous). Then tell her if she was registered at the AFIP and was paying taxes on her income she wouldn't have problems getting dollars at the official rate. Then suggest you go down to AFIP with her if she thinks that will help. ;)

I think advice given earlier on a similar thread seems a good idea. Tell her that you need her CUIL (is that right?) number, and maybe a formal invoice in dollars, to take with you in order to exchange your pesos for dollars. Then, you'll get the dollars for her. This doesn't need to be confrontational, and most likely she'll not want to do this because she isn't reporting the income, and will then accept the official exchange rate.

There are two official rates. The buy rate and the sell rate. Since the rent is in dollars she is entitled to the buy rate, which is closer to 4.28-4.30. This is fair but she has to agree to it, if not you will have to pay with dollars if that is what your contract states.

I am currently getting minimum 4.55 for my dollars so I personally wouldn't accept anything less in Pesos. I'd simply insist on Dollars if I was a landlord.

Yes, top advice, I second it too.

Be polite, just go to the AFIP :) & ask them about the fact that your landlady needs to be paid in dollars ONLY, ask them what they need from her & then go to her with all the forms for her to fill out.....I'm sure she'll be more than grateful for your good will ;-).

BAwithkids said:
I think advice given earlier on a similar thread seems a good idea. Tell her that you need her CUIL (is that right?) number, and maybe a formal invoice in dollars, to take with you in order to exchange your pesos for dollars. Then, you'll get the dollars for her. This doesn't need to be confrontational, and most likely she'll not want to do this because she isn't reporting the income, and will then accept the official exchange rate.

I had spoken with my landlady about this at the beginning of the month. I told her I could pay in dollars, but to do that I need to go to AFIP to register my DNI or CUIL with their system. That is when she said forget about AFIP... she'd accept pesos.

After posting here this morning, I told her that if we can't agree to a more mutually beneficial exchange rate, I'd pay in dollars this month (from what I already have on hand). BUT, I would be forced to go to AFIP tomorrow, since the 4.60 exchange rate effectively raises my rent by almost $100US/month. I was not making a threat, I told here the situation left me no choice.

She agreed to go by the posted rate at Banco de La Nacion, which is currently 4.28. PUF!

I am an excellent tenant. I'm quiet, respectful, and I've make may repairs to the apartment, some on my own dime. She knows I will apply for citizenship next year, and that I want stay in the apartment as long as possible. She wants a long term tenant and I was feeling like it was all take and no give. The fact that I'm barely getting by financially just make it worse.

... WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED HEADACHE...

Utopos said:
I had spoken with my landlady about this at the beginning of the month. I told her I could pay in dollars, but to do that I need to go to AFIP to register my DNI or CUIL with their system. That is when she said forget about AFIP... she'd accept pesos.

After posting here this morning, I told her that if we can't agree to a more mutually beneficial exchange rate, I'd pay in dollars this month (from what I already have on hand). BUT, I would be forced to go to AFIP tomorrow, since the 4.60 exchange rate effectively raises my rent by almost $100US/month. I was not making a threat, I told here the situation left me no choice.

She agreed to go by the posted rate at Banco de La Nacion, which is currently 4.28. PUF!

I am an excellent tenant. I'm quiet, respectful, and I've make may repairs to the apartment, some on my own dime. She knows I will apply for citizenship next year, and that I want stay in the apartment as long as possible. She wants a long term tenant and I was feeling like it was all take and no give. The fact that I'm barely getting by financially just make it worse.

... WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED HEADACHE...

So glad this all worked out for you!

Have been following the dollar exchange fiasco and what your landlord is asking is considered illegal in the eyes of the government: AFIP. Travel companies were doing the same thing, pricing services in dollars and when the clients could not obtain dollars, they agreed to accept pesos at the black market rate. The government interpreted this practice as " money laundering" and threatened prosecution.

Back