Exchanging Dollars Outside Of Buenos Aires

Crocodile

Registered
I am wondering if anyone could advise on this: I am going to Ushuaia, from where I will be making my way back up for about a month stopping at various places in Patagonia (Calafate, Puerto Madyr, Mendoza, etc.). Should I exchange dollars here in Buenos Aires before my trip? Will I be able to find cuevas in Patagonia just as easily, or not? Am I likely to get different rates outside of BA?

There are cuevas in Bariloche, so I assume that if you go to a similar size city there will be cuevas in the more touristic areas. You will receive a lower rate than La Nacion publishes, if that is lower than what you accually get on the street in BsAs I don't know.
You will not be able to trade 20s, maybe not 50s, best is crisp 100s.

Naturally you gamble either way, if you trade in BsAs maybe the rate will be higher a month later, or lower. Nobody knows.

To keep in mind, if you are going to carry cash, dollars are smaller and easier to hide. But you will have to think ahead all the time so that you do have the correct currency. You cannot assume that you will be able to pay with dollars for accommodation, but maybe you can. at a lower rate.

What a nice trip you have planned! Have fun and take care of yourself and your money.

If you will have internet access during your trip, you might want to consider joining the open Facebook group, "Dolar Blue." There, you will find posts from people in all parts of Argentina who want to buy or sell foreign currency. Almost all of the people who use the page are "particulares." One of the advantages is that since there is no middle man involved, both parties can agree on a better buying/selling price that is higher for the seller and lower for the buyer, since there is no "cueva" commission (hope that makes sense!). Just an idea.

Suerte!

Back