Exclusive hotels are going out of business?

Try it again in a few months, there should be a moment she has to sell. And always give a take it or leave it offer

The situation in the US

Estados Unidos: siguen los numeros rojos

estados unidos, hoteleria, negocios Julio 28th, 2009

La situación del mercado turístico estadounidense se acerca, lentamente, a un estado de “década perdida”. Tras los atentados de 2001, el crecimiento en la llegada de visitantes se estancó, incluso cuando el resto del mundo recuperó el crecimiento entre 2003 y 2008.Y ahora, la mala situación económica está llevando a una caída bastante marcada de los indicadores de uno de los principales segmentos del mercado turístico: la hotelería.
En junio, la ocupación hotelera en Estados Unidos cayó más del 9% con respecto al mismo mes de 2008, y quedó apenas por encima del 61%. El precio promedio del alquiler por un día de una habitación quedó en 96.77 dólares, casi un 10% menos. Y los ingresos promedio por habitación cerraron con números mucho peores: 59.34, más de un 18% menos que en junio de 2008.
Hasta ahora, la mala performance del mercado estadounidense solía tener una excepción bastante marcada: New York, que mostró buenos números, gracias a ser una de las pocas ciudades estadounidenses beneficiada por la mayor llegada de turistas extranjeros. Pero la recesión internacional ya le pasó la factura a New York, donde el valor de alquiler diario de una habitación quedó ligeramente por debajo de los 200 dólares, más de un 30% menos que un año atrás.
La única ciudad importante de Estados Unidos que no salió tan mal fue Washington DC, que registró una pequeña caída en el costo diario de una habitación, y mantuvo una tasa de ocupación cercana al 77%.
Habrá que ver si en los próximos meses el mercado turístico estadounidense comienza a mejorar. Porque, tras 8 años de performance bastante pobre, enfrentar ahora una caída tan relevante marca que estamos frente a problemas que van mucho más allá de lo coyuntural. Y mejor ni hablemos de los eternos números rojos de las principales líneas aéreas de Estados Unidos (visto en Hotels).

Pretty poor numbers, but I have a feeling it's worse in BA, there are too many exclusive hotels

BlahBlah said:
Real inflation in 2009 is definitly not 30% and it will go back down even more in the next 6 months due to the crisis and more expensive public services
True, based on my observations the inflation rate is some 15-18% /year depending on whether the articles are hecho en Argentina (the lower) or imported (the higher rate).

Addition: My supermarket spreadsheet, registering new and previous prices, tells me of a ~ 1% deflation on food during the previous 5 months, also the (slight) raise in number of 'quotas sin interés' is a telltale of a crisis.

There is hardly any import anymore and that's the only reason why the state is not yet bankrupt. Wait another 6 months for that

Some figures about Argentines travelling abroad and foreigners coming to Argentina. I believe those figures because last summer it was offer cheaper to go on holiday in Brasil or Uruguay then in Argentina. US also has positive figures for Argentinian visitors

Cayó el ingreso de turistas, pero subió el de argentinos que viajaron al exterior

19:33
Según el INDEC, en abril se redujo un 6 por ciento el número de visitantes, en relación al mismo mes del año pasado. Pero creció un 16,8% la salida de turistas argentinos.

En el marco de la crisis global se dio un dato significativo. La cantidad de turistas que arribó al país en abril cayó 6 por ciento con relación al mismo mes del año pasado, pero como contrapartida subió un 16,8 por ciento el de argentinos que viajaron al exterior.

Así surge del informe elaborado por el Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Censos (INDEC). De acuerdo a los datos proporcionados por el organismo, en abril llegaron a Ezeiza 183.096 turistas no residentes, mientras que las "pernoctaciones" alcanzaron a 2.525.619, lo que representa una caída de 3,8 por ciento.

De esta forma, en el primer cuatrimestre hubo 744.525 turistas extranjeros en el país. El gasto total en el mes se ubicó en 210.344.338 dólares, lo cual implica una reducción de 23,8 por ciento con respecto al mismo período de 2008.

En tanto, salieron del país en calidad de turistas 113.582 personas, un 16,8 por ciento más que en abril de 2008.

Clarin

Recoleta Carolina said:
Okay, Steve, just to make you happy I will indulge your remarks....................

I have had drinks and lunch within the last month at some of the luxury hotels. The lounges were almost empty.

I had dinner at a very popular restaurant on a Saturday night which is always packed. My friends and I got a prime window table because the restaurant was almost empty.

I have seen three movies this month on Saturday nights. I would say occupancy is running around 20% if that much.

Have you been to a shopping mall lately? Just about every display window advertises discounts of anywhere from 30% - 60%. The stores in Palermo don´t seem to be doing any better.

In my immediate neighborhood around 4 or 5 of the traditional style cafes have closed within the last two years only to be replaced by dry cleaners or trendy clothing stores (which I doubt will last).

I don´t go to clubs but my guess is that they are doing well. I think it is the upscale market that is hurting more.

Recoleta, Palermo, and Belgrano do not represent even a fraction of the size of Buenos Aires. I have read that hundreds of restaurants/cafes have gone out of business but obviously I am not going to check it out. It would be too long of a walk to wander from one end of Buenos Aires to the other. By the way, try chatting with the taxi drivers. They are an excellent source of information and tell me their business is down up to 50% from a year ago.

At any rate, I suppose you have read many of the other posts that seem to believe that business is down. But, hey, maybe business is doing great in Belgrano. I certainly hope so. But, where I am sitting, I think that people are cutting back on their spending.

OK, Carolina, Thanks for trying to make me happy, though I'm already ecstatic in Belgrano . I never said business wasn't down, I just asked you to speak for yourself rather than providing second hand information...since you do live in Recloeta.

Business may be down in general everywhere, but in Belgrano there are almost no vacant locales on or near Cabildo, and the restaurant two doors from my apartment is doing a total rehab.

At least there is some hope. Business here do not rely on credit to get started and simply aren't as vulnerable to legal actions from creditors as in the US or other countries. Some will fail but many (if not most) will survive. If and when most fail to survive, so will we.

Crisis or not, isn't this is the normal time of year for deep discounts on winter clothes?

I believe there has always been a turnover of small business in Recoleta (as well as the rest of the world). Several years ago my (former) Argentine girlfriend took me on my first tour of Recoleta and cited a much higher turnover rate than I observed while I lived there. Most of the business that closed did so prior to the current crisis and almost all of those that have closed during the crisis have already been replaced by new ones.

As usual, time will tell all.

BlahBlah said:
I think the movies are down because of the swine flu.
Not only down, in Mendoza - at least - they are still closed by decrete.

Officially you had to leave one spot open, I am sure many people did that :)

I think they only sold half the tickets, it was all bogus offcourse

I think that movies are still doing good in BA, it's pretty popular and not that expensive

In Bariloche, foreign tourism has slowed, but the Argies are here in full force. We have had a few swine cancellations as well.

I have had a couple of argentine friends who were living in spain, and returned home when they lost their jobs earlier in the year. Reason for returning home - "i missed my family and friends". Even though they have EU passports and could get unemployment benefit they still decided to return.

I dont know what the real rate of inflation is, but I always think it is alot more expensive when i leave here for a few months and return. Ice cream is a good example. 1/4 lt was AR$3.50 when i arrived in 2007, last time i had it it was AR$11. Things at the supermarket are harder for me to remember as i buy alot of fruit and veg, which is up and down all the time depending on supply - last year i remember paying AR$9 for 3 not very big tomatos. But things like condensed milk (for ice coffee) was AR$1.90 in 2007, last time i bought AR$5.
And i notice that when it was costing me AR$5 to $10 everytime i went to supermarket (i go most days) it is now AR$20 or more.

I know 2 economist here, one works for a big US bank, the other for the Gov, both tell me that real inflation is above 25%. I havent seen them since march, so maybe has changed now, but for 2007 and 2008, thats what they were telling me.

I think that most people who spend time in BA or live there know people who returned from Europe or the US, but that does not say there are enough returnees to fill the planes.

Inflation in 2007 and 2008 was definitly above 25% but inflation slowed, even most economist agree

Back