Expat AFIP taxes

And what does that have to do with a conversation about income taxes?
It's an essential component of the US income tax you'd be paying if you're a contractor/freelancer instead of a W-2 employee, so if someone is trying to figure out both their US and Argentine tax situation, it's something to keep in mind.

And what does that have to do with a conversation about income taxes?

What are My Self-Employed Tax Obligations?​

As a self-employed individual, generally you are required to file an annual return and pay estimated tax quarterly.

Self-employed individuals generally must pay self-employment (SE) tax as well as income tax. SE tax is a Social Security and Medicare tax primarily for individuals who work for themselves.-- IRS

I'm so confused with this topic. I work online full-time for a US company (not freelance). Of course I file for my US income tax every year. However, If I plan to move back to Argentina (I'm a permanent resident with DNI) and I want to be responsible and be some kind of monotributista to get an obra social at least, what are my options?

I'm so confused with this topic. I work online full-time for a US company (not freelance). Of course I file for my US income tax every year. However, If I plan to move back to Argentina (I'm a permanent resident with DNI) and I want to be responsible and be some kind of monotributista to get an obra social at least, what are my options?
This is the current rules, which will likely change come December (I'm not an accountant nor a lawyer):

- Tax residency in Argentina is determined by physical residency, i.e if you're in Argentina living here, you're a tax resident when you move back as a permanent resident (or after 12 months of precarious residency as a non-DNI holder)
- You can bill up to $22,848.40 USD a year as a monotributista at the current exchange rate/limit for Category H; if you exceed this amount, you must become an Autónomo, and collect VAT (21%)
- In either scenario, you can keep up to $12,000 USD in dollars, but they must be deposited in to your Argentine dollar denominated savings account within 5 days of billing your company and issuing the "E" invoice
- Anything over $12K USD will be pesified at the official BCRA exchange rate

This is how you do things by the book. Do people do this? Absolutely not, most remote workers work en negro, and launder some of their money, i.e. just what they spend that AFIP can track such as invoices/debit card/credit card purchases. It's illegal, but like the dollar blue, everyone knows it happens, but the UIF can make life hell for you if you don't and get caught. As to how you do this, you'll need to figure that out on your own, but there's lots of guides on line for remote working from Argentina en negro.

I'm so confused with this topic. I work online full-time for a US company (not freelance)...I want to be responsible and be some kind of monotributista to get an obra social at least, what are my options?
If you want to be responsible, you should write a letter to your company to notify them of your plans to reside overseas for an extended period while continuing to perform your duties as their employee. And that this decision may have interesting tax, insurance, legal and regulatory consequences for you and most importantly for them.

Be prepared for the possibility that the company may choose to terminate your employment if they are unwilling to accommodate this arrangement.

Taking this step is what a responsible person would do.

Alternatively, you can just buy your local medical insurance independently, probably you can afford a much better plan than what is offered to monotributistas.

This is the current rules, which will likely change come December (I'm not an accountant nor a lawyer):

- Tax residency in Argentina is determined by physical residency, i.e if you're in Argentina living here, you're a tax resident when you move back as a permanent resident (or after 12 months of precarious residency as a non-DNI holder)
- You can bill up to $22,848.40 USD a year as a monotributista at the current exchange rate/limit for Category H; if you exceed this amount, you must become an Autónomo, and collect VAT (21%)
- In either scenario, you can keep up to $12,000 USD in dollars, but they must be deposited in to your Argentine dollar denominated savings account within 5 days of billing your company and issuing the "E" invoice
- Anything over $12K USD will be pesified at the official BCRA exchange rate

This is how you do things by the book. Do people do this? Absolutely not, most remote workers work en negro, and launder some of their money, i.e. just what they spend that AFIP can track such as invoices/debit card/credit card purchases. It's illegal, but like the dollar blue, everyone knows it happens, but the UIF can make life hell for you if you don't and get caught. As to how you do this, you'll need to figure that out on your own, but there's lots of guides on line for remote working from Argentina en negro.
Thank you. The thing is that I don't bill anyone, I'm just a regular hourly wage worker.

If you want to be responsible, you should write a letter to your company to notify them of your plans to reside overseas for an extended period while continuing to perform your duties as their employee. And that this decision may have interesting tax, insurance, legal and regulatory consequences for you and most importantly for them.

Be prepared for the possibility that the company may choose to terminate your employment if they are unwilling to accommodate this arrangement.

Taking this step is what a responsible person would do.

Alternatively, you can just buy your local medical insurance independently, probably you can afford a much better plan than what is offered to monotributistas.
Thank you. The company is aware and are fine with it.

Thank you. The company is aware and are fine with it.
A USA company, who does no business in Argentina, is probably only fine with you working in Argentina if the physical address you have on file with their HR department is a USA address. If you asked to change your official address to Argentina then they would need to follow all the many employment rules of Argentina. I doubt they would be ready to take that step unless they currently or have future plans to do business here. You must ask your companies HR person, not your boss if you want the true answer from your company. If they are really fine with you living and working here, then there is no need for you to investigate anything because your employer is the one responsible for learning and following all the rules.

and I want to be responsible and be some kind of monotributista to get an obra social at least, what are my options?
monotributista category that you ask about is for freelancers, not employees of foreign companies.

A USA company, who does no business in Argentina, is probably only fine with you working in Argentina if the physical address you have on file with their HR department is a USA address. If you asked to change your official address to Argentina then they would need to follow all the many employment rules of Argentina. I doubt they would be ready to take that step unless they currently or have future plans to do business here. You must ask your companies HR person, not your boss if you want the true answer from your company. If they are really fine with you living and working here, then there is no need for you to investigate anything because your employer is the one responsible for learning and following all the rules.

monotributista category that you ask about is for freelancers, not employees of foreign companies.
Yes, I know, I asked about "some type of monotributista" because I don't know what else to call it. It seems that I have no options then.

Back