Expat Medium-Term Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles716

Registered
I wanted to ask your advice about several things.

0. General information - I'm 34, savings of us$60K, income of $1400/mo from Social Security Disability (SSDI). I will be completing my masters degree online and would like to use that as an opportunity to position myself in a rapidly changing world. I have some knowledge of Castilian and Catalán already.

1. Rentista visa - Would my SSDI income qualify? If not, what visa might be suitable?
2. Are there many expats in El Calafate? Is it recommended for someone with limited Castilian skills?
3. Path to citizenship - Given the state of the world, it would open up several options. My understanding is that one can apply for citizenship for two years of legal residency. However, that does not mean it would be granted. What do they look for when granting citizenship?
4. Real estate - Where can I look for houses for sale in El Calafate or in Argentina in general?

Thank you

Last edited:
Disclaimer:
I'm no expat
Pesimistic by nature.

Calafate is no heaven on Earth. Mostly public servants enjoying a meager sinecure. Turism is dead. The place was economically in a coma before this shit started, just check the news.
It's Cristina's turf but they pretty much left it to it's barren luck.
If you are in the white list with the local powers that be you might be fine, otherwise you are SOL. They are likely fine with passing turists that leave them hard cash but foreigners with little cash might be a different story.
Yours is little cash, all things considered.
Research Heath Care in the area. Might cost an arm and a leg but in practical terms there ain't none. It's been on the news repeatedly. No coverage, unpaid professionals, no service.
Such is the regular situation, complete SNAFU.
Now the coutry's economy is crushed.
It will only get worse, much worse.

Even as an Argie, i wouldn't want to go there.

Iz

Last edited:
Calafate has no life of its own - it is just a transfer point for those who want to see the Perito Moreno Glacier, or go hiking in El Chalten.

The Argentine Patagonia has a romantic reputation but I found it to be a barren, brown, endless steppe.

Actually, (and with reference to another thread started this morning) listen to, or read Jorge Fernandez Diaz to discover that it is Santa Cruz (not Venezuela) that serves as the laboratory for Kirchnerismo's vision of the future. He constantly reminds his audience that one doesn't have to look north to see where they want to take the country, but instead much closer to home, and to the south.

Calafate has no life of its own - it is just a transfer point for those who want to see the Perito Moreno Glacier, or go hiking in El Chalten.

The Argentine Patagonia has a romantic reputation but I found it to be a barren, brown, endless steppe.

Very Romantic indeed like in Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid

1597253813744.png

I like cold and dry; Calafate seemed like a fit. What do you think of Río Gallegos?

I do not plan to expatriate until after the virus situation has blown over, so overall conditions should improve by then.

Might be a year or two before that happens. Speaking of blowing over, my only knowledge of Rio Gallegos is that I got off the plane there once for refuelling back in the days when planes couldn't reach Auckland from Buenos Aires on a single tank. All I remember is leaning 45 degrees forward into the howling gale to try and make it across the tarmac to the terminal and then listening for an hour as the wind swirled around as if the building itself would lift off the ground at any moment.

I wanted to ask your advice about several things.

0. General information - I'm 34, savings of us$60K, income of $1400/mo from Social Security Disability (SSDI). I will be completing my masters degree online and would like to use that as an opportunity to position myself in a rapidly changing world. I have some knowledge of Castilian and Catalán already.

1. Rentista visa - Would my SSDI income qualify? If not, what visa might be suitable?
2. Are there many expats in El Calafate? Is it recommended for someone with limited Castilian skills?
3. Path to citizenship - Given the state of the world, it would open up several options. My understanding is that one can apply for citizenship for two years of legal residency. However, that does not mean it would be granted. What do they look for when granting citizenship?
4. Real estate - Where can I look for houses for sale in El Calafate or in Argentina in general?

Thank you
I have said it many times in the past and I am going to keep saying it: The RENTISTA VISA is a potential headache waiting to happen. Explore every other option available to you and at all costs, avoid this one! Although in your particular instance, you have basically nothing to fear because you aren't sitting on mid 6 figures or greater in cash and, or combined assets according to what you have shared with the board.

To save you time searching my previous posts:

The Argentine government will one day soon be searching their databases across all agencies in the hunt for tax evaders. The holder of a RENTISTA VISA is a red flag for a taxable asset cache for that wealth tax.

What strategy would you advise in lieu?

I have said it many times in the past and I am going to keep saying it: The RENTISTA VISA is a potential headache waiting to happen. Explore every other option available to you and at all costs, avoid this one! Although in your particular instance, you have basically nothing to fear because you aren't sitting on mid 6 figures or greater in cash and, or combined assets according to what you have shared with the board.

To save you time searching my previous posts:

The Argentine government will one day soon be searching their databases across all agencies in the hunt for tax evaders. The holder of a RENTISTA VISA is a red flag for a taxable asset cache for that wealth tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back