Expat Names that sound strange to Argentines

Hache said:
People... unless you're being mocked like the OP, nothing wrong if you don't get you're names pronounced perfectly well. Especially vowels. We don't have mixed vowel sounds. Someone mentioned Facundo... I met a Facundo in college, in the US. He was an Argentine, too. Faekiundou was just about as close as the average American could get. My name's Hernán. I got Hérnan with a sounding H. Most people could get those rigth after some time, but the Spanish R... nobody that I knew. And after four years in the US my English still sounded like cr*p, anyway.

I'm very surprised about Glen and Glem, though. The N's just that... an N!

Yes, it's true, for us it's easier to pronounce words ending in N rather than M. In fact, there are many words ending in M that are sometimes mispronounced with N, like Menem. I remember my grandmother always said "Menen", and also "Movicón" instead of "Movicom".

But in this particular case (Glen > Glem), I think "Blem" is getting in the way. Blem is a brand of "limpiadores para pisos" (what is that in English, floor washer????)...

Cheers

Same but in reverse.... native English speakers can't seem to be able to pronounce GUADALUPE without having difficulties. Facundo is another example, bcs the U is tricky... I even heard someone saying F***U trying to pronounce it properly! :p

Fun thread... my name (Josh) gets completely mangled here. In Central America they called me "Yosh", which I liked. But in South America, it comes out as "Jis".. don't know why.
I don't like the transliteration - Joshua (which is not actually my name, it's just Josh) is Josue - and I'm definitely not a Josue!
So I'm thinking of changing it to something completely different, easily pronounceable in both languages. I'm accepting ideas if you have any! :)

People absolutely love my name.

But they're always shocked when they hear it. But not just here. That's been the case in nearly all 25 countries* I've ever visited.

*Does The Vatican count as a "country"? Facebook's travel app says "yes", but I'm not sure.

Lala said:
My favorite name story is when I went to the Cemic clinic...

The SAME thing happened to me at the Cemic!! And they had no problem at all putting "Teresa" (my assumed name) when I offered it.

I go by Teresa pretty much all the time, unless I think I'll be seeing the person regularly in which case I'd prefer for them to call me by my real name: Tez, como rostro. Mine's not too bad because Tess is common enough for people here to even recognize it, but my full first name, forget about, I save that for intimate friends, even in the US!

Yes, I have this problem all the time! The name "Katie" really throws Spanish speakers for a loop. A worker at Migraciones actually rechristened me "Chicha" because he couldn't pronounce my name.

I wrote a post about this topic on my blog some time ago, if you're interested: What's In a Name?

Santiago F said:
Yes, it's true, for us it's easier to pronounce words ending in N rather than M. In fact, there are many words ending in M that are sometimes mispronounced with N, like Menem. I remember my grandmother always said "Menen", and also "Movicón" instead of "Movicom".

But in this particular case (Glen > Glem), I think "Blem" is getting in the way. Blem is a brand of "limpiadores para pisos" (what is that in English, floor washer????)...

Cheers

There's also Leandro N. Alem. I'm sure there are others too.

kalley said:
Yes, I have this problem all the time! The name "Katie" really throws Spanish speakers for a loop. A worker at Migraciones actually rechristened me "Chicha" because he couldn't pronounce my name.

I wrote a post about this topic on my blog some time ago, if you're interested: What's In a Name?

Actually, that entry in your blog is the reason for this post! I read it a few days ago. Keep it up, I really enjoy it! Especially the recipes... :p

Santiago F said:
But in this particular case (Glen > Glem), I think "Blem" is getting in the way.

LOL! I was thinking about that, too!!!

Back