Expat Tax Advice - Looking For Accountant

gverd

Registered
I am looking for an accountant with some experience of expat issues (foreign investments / assets, holding companies abroad). So far I've found either people who have no idea what they're talking about, or others who charge outrageous fees. If anyone has someone to recommend I'd be very grateful.

Also, I have been told by two separate people (one of whom comes from a large law/accountancy firm) that it is not necessary to file declaraciones juradas for your first 5 years of residency, at least for foreign assets. (This may or may not be related to a non-mercosur working visa) does anyone have any information on this? I haven't managed to find anything online.

thnx

The "5-year exemption" sounds like pie in the sky to me. I had to file declaraciones juradas from the moment I got residence 12 years ago. From my personal experience, if you're based in capital and language isn't a problem, I would recommend going to a reputable accountant/tax advisory company in microcentro. I was referred to one back in 2006 and since then I've had reason to be grateful, even if it mightn't be the cheapest option. A phone call from my accountant in microcentro very quickly resolved matters in my favour when it appeared I was being taken for a clueless foreigner in tax-related aspects of transactions I was involved in. PM me if you would like my accountant's contact details.

One of the sources for this was actually a high profile accountancy firm in microcentro, but the price tag for a one off assessment seemed too high, I don't need an accountant year-round right now, just some tax planning advice.

My wife is an Argentine public accountant registered in CABA and the province. She's recently completed the amnesty (blanqueo) for many clients.
PM me if you're interested.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm having another meeting with the firm I originally contacted, if we don't reach an agreement I may followup on the suggestions here.

The "online' tax guy is knowledgeable, totally accessible on line (although he now has offices in NYC), and fairly priced. I met him in Bs As years ago and he has been doing my taxes since then - I have lived outside and inside the USA during that time. [email protected]

My wife is an Argentine public accountant registered in CABA and the province. She's recently completed the amnesty (blanqueo) for many clients.
PM me if you're interested.

Hi, I'm looking for an accountant in BA who speaks some English. Does your wife speak english?

My email is [email protected]

Thanks,
Chaya

My understanding is that the tax regime the initial poster is talking about is the following:
If you move to Argentina for work, then for a period of 5 years you do not pay any taxes on income other from what you earn in Argentina ("En este caso, sólo quedarán sujetas a impuesto en la Argentina las rentas obtenidas en nuestro país. Las rentas de fuente extranjera quedarán fuera del gravamen."). Also your wealth outside Argentina is not affected ("En este caso el contribuyente tributa únicamente sobre el patrimonio ubicado en la Argentina.")

I am living in Argentina for a couple of years now (as a non-resident, i.e. "tourist"). I am married to an Argentine citizen and have children here. I work from home for a European company.

Question 1: could I still apply for this expat status if I get such a contract? (if married to Arg citizen, if you are already in Argentina as a non-resident)
Question 2: If yes, does anybody know of an accountant / lawyer who can help me in "setting up" such a contract? (the contacts above are various years old and more about accountants in general; ideally I would like to get a contact who specifically set up such contracts in the past)

I'm also looking for an accountant, initially to recover taxes as an employee (SIRADIG), then potentially as a freelancer with income from outside Argentina. Everything "en blanco" and at least plausibly legal, please. If any good accountant would like a slightly grumpy but otherwise perfectly nice client, please pm me.

Back