expat trend to open delivery businesses

tez

Registered
Well, not just expats, Argentinians too.

Sushi Pop (Argie), Cocina Verde, Bagelazo, the granola girl, 3 Tiros Burritos (new and so popular every time I place an order the wait is 1.5hrs!!), Animal Sushi (also Argie), Poke (only on buenosairesdelivery.com I think), and these are just what I think of off the top of my head.

So do they really just do everything from their homes? Purchase some containers to send things in and wait for the orders to come in?

Does anyone know anyone these people who do these things? It seems crazy to me, and too simple to be so lucrative! What is the catch that I am not seeing here?

tez said:
What is the catch that I am not seeing here?

First catch: you work 18 hours a day.
Second catch: you work 18 hours a day from your home. :)

Not to mention that just because you have to wait 1.5hrs doesn't necessarily mean they are super busy.

mini said:
Not to mention that just because you have to wait 1.5hrs doesn't necessarily mean they are super busy.

No it probably just means the staff gets paid shit.

I've worked a lot with a few of these places, and I think it is an interesting way to start a business. It really lets the prospective restauranteur focus on getting the food right at the start. If people really like it, then you have data to expand on. I think it kinda helps to defer the risk of starting restaurants, which are historically one of the riskiest businesses out there.

I don't think that any of them are killing it financially.

Do you really think they have to work 18 hour days? Maybe to start, but once things fall into a routine? I really don't know, my only experience in the food business world is as a patron!

For example the burrito place is only open Weds-Sun for dinner. I actually ordered from the burrito place successfully last Saturday and quizzed the delivery boy a bit, and they do have a store, it isn't in their house, it's evidently in a galeria but if you go you can only get the food to go. (off note on the burrito: it was OK, smaller than I expected but that is OK. I naively ordered the 'chedder cheese' in the burrito thinking it would be grated cheese. It wasn't. It was that yucky nacho cheese sauce which invaded the entire burrito. Be ware! Maybe without this it would be a good burrito. The pico de gallo was good, the rice is not "spanish rice.")

Even though I never really thought they were killing it financially, I do think they must be making off better than the hundreds of expats here that are slaving away doing odd jobs. Needless to say there is some investment here and inevitable loss, but I have to say for someone trying to make money in BA without too much investment, this doesn't seem like such a bad idea! (of course, someone innovative and ambitious, as starting your own private business is no walk in the park)

As Withersdavis mentions, it seems like an excellent way to test the market before launching a bigger, riskier business.

I don't know how much you will work/make. I do think it's a fun idea, especially if you like to cook. In fact, I've thought about a few things I'd like to make & sell the extras as otherwise I end up eating them all myself! lol.

Back