Expats In Belgrano

LIVE54

Registered
Hey All,

Just wanted to reach out to those of you that live in Belgrano. My family and I moved to BA recently and we are considering an apartment in Belgrano. Wanted to get your thoughts on the area in general, safety, quality of life etc..

We are currently in temp housing in Palermo Soho, which is cool for what it is, but were looking for an area that's a little more low key.

We've been looking in the Barrancas del Belgrano area, so if any of you live there or close by we would love to hear your thoughts.

We live in Belgrano near the intersection of Cabildo and José Hernández. It's a great area. We have two kids, 9 and 14. School is close and good. Easy access to public transit. Lots of options for shopping. It is as safe as any area in Buenos Aires.

Belgrano is definitely a more low-key and family-friendly area. You'd be fine there. However, we live in Las Cañitas and prefer it to Belgrano overall. It's quieter during rush hour (maybe always quieter?), packed with a variety of stores and restaurants, very active with families, extremely safe, closer to the park/Bosques than Belgrano, and tons of bus options. It's quite lovely here. I'm sad to leave it in a few months for the provincia.

Just replied to another topic about Washington School with some info about a school in Belgrano…I'll repeat it here about the neighborhood of Belgrano...
We lived in Belgrano R (close to the train station) and loved it. Hard to find a place, but well worth the search! It's quieter than Barrancas and the areas around Cabildo, but the direct train to Retiro is ideal. Great parks, cafes, restaurants, and community.

Thanks guys... can someone tell me what the borders of Belgrano R are? We wandered around the area this weekend, starting at the park in Barrancas and walked around the streets between Juramento and La Pampa, all the way towards Cabildo.

Most of what we saw where mid or high rise buildings which were nice. I know there is another are with houses, but we didn't find that part of town... In terms of safety, how do you guys feel about houses vs. buildings in this area? Almost everyone I talk to says a building would be much safer.

Also in Belgrano, on the border with palermo / colegiales, off Cabildo not too far from Olleros subte. Great to be near (but not living in!) Palermo, to be near parks, to be in a tree lined street, relatively quiet and safe and to have barrio chino nearby for shopping, easy access to main routes into town (libertador, sante fe, las heras) and easy access to general paz and accesso norte. Access to nunez where you can find some hidden gem parillas!

That said, the northern end of cabildo is going to be a disaster zone when they start the planned bus lane and subte improvements very soon.

Yes, apartment buildings are safer. Houses are great but from the perspective of a budding criminal a house probably brings greater rewards and less risk (less people than a building, less locked doors barring entry etc). You can be "jumped" as you enter your house and the assailant knows they don't run the risk of encountering anyone else as they might in a shared apartment space. As you are on ground level your access points are more exposed.

ps...(and I'll stop rambling shortly) - have entertained thoughts of selling our 2 apartments and looking for a house in the Colegiales area. Not the time though. Probably not as safe as Belgrano but I do think it's got great potential in future. You'd want to be right on the Belgrano border though.

Uh ... what planned bus lane and subte improvements?

They're joining up general paz to the start of the subte with a new metrobus line...all those pretty little trees and whatnot they recently planted in the middle of cabildo will be ripped up (city planning at it's finest) and replaced with a short metrobus line a la Juan b Justo / 9 de julio. In terms of subte developments: right now the linea d trains have to make their way over to caballito to be housed up at night when the line stops running. At the same time as putting in the new bus lane there will be some underground development of what will essentially be a parking lot for linea D trains. Can't remember the exact location but I understand that the works for the 2 projects will happen at the same time. Something about operational efficiency of linea d as the trains will be on hand to start the day at a terminal in the congreso de tucuman area.

Metrobus:
http://www.infobae.com/2013/10/10/1515133-para-construir-un-metrobus-la-ciudad-demolera-un-bulevar-que-aun-no-inauguro

Subte (cochera):
http://www.enelsubte.com/noticias/iniciaran-2014-la-ampliacion-la-cochera-manuela-pedraza-2957

Back