Expats not happy, why stay?

Thanks Soulskier. A bit of advice.:p

“Those pants look really good on you, are you loosing weight?”

The above statement will get you out of 85% of women problems cross culturally.

YohoYoho said:
Thanks Soulskier. A bit of advice.:p

“Those pants look really good on you, are you loosing weight?”

The above statement will get you out of 85% of women problems cross culturally.

And this might get you out of 99% of them...without ever having suggested the need for weight loss:

"Wow, have you been working out? You look so...(slight delay as you "search" for the word)...toned!"

Just trying to lighten things up a little...

“You’re really hot, but what I find most attractive about you is your mind”

99.999% of the time.

YohoYoho said:
“You’re really hot, but what I find most attractive about you is your mind”

99.999% of the time.

Yes, this is an especially good thing to say to a woman wearing pants...

My line about working out/looking toned is better said after the pants come off.

Thanks Yoho, I plan to keep that in mind when found in a desperate situation.

Tango, I am no yuppie, but my beautiful wife is a veritable baby. I think we dress pretty well, except when it's really hot and I expose myself in shorts and a tee-shirt. I use my Mac Powerbook in cafes, with my cell phone. Maybe I'll change my tune if in fact one or both of us are accosted, but meanwhile, I feel a lot safer here than I ever did in the Adams-Morgan section of DC. Not to mention parts of El Cajon, in Hot's old hometown, where I was mugged twice in the same year coming out of Roberto's La Fonda.

I think Hot is simply making up this stuff to justify her anger at having really screwed up this move, or she got the worst information available anywhere. Not one thing she has written here about life in Buenos Aires reflects any single part of what I experience on a daily basis. I do think, though, that the odds are that I am bound to sprain or break an ankle at some point on these sidewalks. The last time I sprained an ankle on a sidewalk it was on Orange Avenue in Coronado, California, mainly because I was trying to avoid a pile of dog shit and stepped off the side of a curb. Coronado is, by the way, said to be the 3rd richest area in California. Gosh, if they can't keep the dogs from pooping on the sidewalk ... .

If anyone thinks Buenos Aires is a dangerous and dirty place to live, I would direct their next move to Cairo, Johannesburg, or Kiev, all of which I have some experience with. This is patty-cake compared to anywhere in South Africa. Although South Africa is really, really cheap. And it is an identical twin in terms of climate, flora and fauna to southern California.

Culture shock can have a brutal effect on people.

HotYogaTeacher said:
A great deal of our research though, was done on line, on sites like this and so there were many people who said things that led us to believe that it would be VERY inexpensive to live here. It is not for us. Particularly the cost of running a business here in BsAs is far and away more expensive than in San Diego. My friend Sonia in San Diego recently spent 6 months and $50,000 planning and building a yoga studio. My friends Carla and Jay are now a year into the process here with another month minimum to go and will, by the time the doors have opened, have spent double what Sonia did, at least.

We believed people, realtors, people who had purchased property that we met, when they said you could buy a nice home here for under $200K. We could not. Nothing that would afford us even half the space or amenities we were used to. We believed them when they said that you could buy a dinner out at "the finest restaurants in the city with wine and tip for two people" for under $50. You can not.

My guess is that the info you got was correct, yes, five years ago or so... in this country inflation has always been a problem, maybe that is what you didn´t account for (?) It was perfectly possible to buy a house under 200k 5-6 yrs ago, and to dine at the most expensive places for less than 100 pesos, etc.

Long ago I posted that one of the first things my ex Argentine girlfriend warned me about life in Argentina was, "Everybody lies."

It soon applied to me as well when I told her I that liked her parents.

And her sister.

And her aunts.

And so on....

steveinbsas said:
Long ago I posted that one of the first things my ex Argentine girlfriend warned me about life in Argentina was, "Everybody lies."

It soon applied to me as well when I told her I that liked her parents.

And her sister.

And her aunts.

And so on....

LOL Guess that makes it the same as the UK then.:D

tangobob said:
LOL Guess that makes it the same as the UK then.:D

Well, sort of. I have deeply rooted English ancestry (surname Austin), but the Argentine women have much better teeth and (generally) slimmer hips.

I also prefer their accents, but that's just me.

And I can pretend not to understand what they are saying when they are hysterical.

Back