Expats or Backpackers?

"citygirl" said:
Granada - since you are obviously incapable of having a rational conversation, I'll go back to ignoring your inane comments.
Cheers.
Who again knows she will stay a long time after 3 holidays in BA?

You will quickly learn to separate the wheat from the chaff on this message board & whose posts are interesting & informative & those whose posts.. aren't. And Granada - visit doesn't equal holiday. You know what they say about assuming right?! ;)

"citygirl" said:
And Granada - visit doesn't equal holiday. You know what they say about assuming right?! ;)
That is what I said and you will most likely to be back in the US in 2008, like 99% of all foreigners

That means one in one hundred are staying.
Is that good or bad? Depends I supose on your viewpoint.

Grandada - I seriously don't understand your response. Is this a language issue?
You said something about me being here 3x on holiday.
I pointed out that your assumption was incorrect & that my visits weren't "holidays." In fact, they were work-related, I was doing due-diligence & trial runs for the business.
And your response was "That's what I said"?

What is it exactly that you think you said? B/C your statement was incorrect & I was pointing that out.

Is there a logic that I'm missing or do you just post whatever is in your head regardless of its relevence or connection to an earlier post?

(Oh & just to clarify - I probably will be in the states for part of '08 - it's that pesky business thing again! And then I'll be back here. It's the nature of the business. Does that make me not a "real expat"? ;) )

I've read that only 1 in 100 will stay for more than a year. I imagine the government would be able to calculate this through visa and immigration info.
In my experience, the expats that do stay longer seem to be here for a relationship or their work.. They tend to have money and I've never met one that's part of the "desperate poor" in the city.
The backpacker types that come to teach english (and live on just that) rarely last long.

"citygirl" said:
Grandada - I seriously don't understand your response. Is this a language issue?
You said something about me being here 3x on holiday.
I pointed out that your assumption was incorrect & that my visits weren't "holidays." In fact, they were work-related, I was doing due-diligence & trial runs for the business.
And your response was "That's what I said"?

What is it exactly that you think you said? B/C your statement was incorrect & I was pointing that out.

Is there a logic that I'm missing or do you just post whatever is in your head regardless of its relevence or connection to an earlier post?

(Oh & just to clarify - I probably will be in the states for part of '08 - it's that pesky business thing again! And then I'll be back here. It's the nature of the business. Does that make me not a "real expat"? ;) )
No you are a foreign tourist who spends money earned abroad in Argentina.
If you are so sure Argentina is your place you should sell off all your US assets, make a deal with the IRS and move to Argentina. Let´s see how long your savings last.
Someone who spends a few weeks in Argentina and then says he/she wants to stay 5 years has no creditability whatsoever because it´s cheap talk without any value.
There is absolutely no business reason to invest in Argentina over the USA and doing business in Argentina as a foreigner is like doing volunteer work, the only reason it´s serves is to make you feel good.
The 2005 BA is a lot different from the 2007 BA and nobody can predict how the 2012 BA will be, so there is nobody in his right mind who can state he or she will stay 5 years

Quote Granada:
"There is absolutely no business reason to invest in Argentina over the USA and doing business in Argentina as a foreigner is like doing volunteer work, the only reason it´s serves is to make you feel good."
while there may be a grain of truth in that........................it all depends what one has to offer and how good you are!

"auntieapple" said:
Quote Granada:
"There is absolutely no business reason to invest in Argentina over the USA and doing business in Argentina as a foreigner is like doing volunteer work, the only reason it´s serves is to make you feel good."
while there may be a grain of truth in that........................it all depends what one has to offer and how good you are!
And you would make more money doing the same job or having the same business then it let´s say London?
There is no logical reason to invest in Argentina if you know how to make money in the first world. In Europe it´s not hard to make 7% after taxes doing business, property management goes for 8 to 10% and having your money at a bank can get you 4,5-5,0%

Back