Expats still here after five years?

I'm approaching the 5 year mark and still love Argentina. I made a very conscious decision to move here, planned it carefully, and fortunately, I haven't had any major surprises along the way.

My partner and I (now married after 24 years together, thanks to Argentina's gay marriage law!) own 3 companies and we're busier than ever, but happy to be here. Every time we go back to the US, we're always eager to get back to Argentina because it really feels like home.

I also want to thank everyone for their helpful insights on this web site. It's a great resource and I always enjoy reading it!

I've been here for 6.5 years. Planning to move back to the US by early 2012. I would have left Argentina after my first year but I guess some people do crazy things for love.

Here for 5 years as of Feb. Trying to figure out a better way to make money work and live here only part time. I both love and hate it here, and have mixed feelings about staying or leaving. I'll be here at least through end of the year (making my stay just shy of 6 years), but going back to the States for awhile after I get my permanent residency settled up. A return will likely be an eventual part of the plan (or Brasil, depending on how much my Argentina residency helps me!) but I'm not sure about returning to live in Capital.

I had to adapt myself quite a lot here, in terms of working activity but as of today, I can't really complain.
There's no way I would return to Old Europe but I may consider making a move to Brazil some day, once I'll be an Argentinean citizen.
Also, I feel more and more like belonging to this country (bringing my own "plus" to the country, etc.)

11 years, 8 days.

One wife (she was nice enough to marry me back in the day so I could get my DNI! --and we're still happily married ...usually) and one stepson.

I'm actually not a bitter person but I give Argentina a 3 (and the US a 2) on the best-out-of-10 "healthy society" rating.

In either country I have two friends so I guess I can't complain there..

I do love how pretty much everybody seems nice here once you get to know them (--I know this seems contradictiory if I am only giving a grade of three). I guess it should be a four.

And they have mate here, so it's a 4.

Note: 4's at Argentine universities are a passing grade :)

5 years one month--------Yes I am like many others .....so many thing I like here and some things I dont like... but that is like anyplace....

I think about going back to the USA.. but it is a mess also in many ways..... so thinking about it??? but I would also miss Argentina if I leave!!

HowardinBA said:
been kept busy then Trev?:rolleyes:

Very busy indeed. The place has been a learning experience for all of us with highs and lows. My youngest daughter, 5, was born here and thinks she's more portena than Aussie. We call Argentina is home for now and don't have have plans of returning to Australia permanently any time soon.

I was told once by an expatriate that in his opinion, if you can survive in Argentina you can live anywhere. It has some merit.

Back