Expected Salaries

Thank you both, that is all very helpful. I'm currently living in a three-bedroom with 2 (soon to be 3) other people, for US$900/month ($1150 each). In my two months here, I've realized I can live off of about US$1000/month ($3800), including paying my student loans at home. That's why I figure $4000 would be great. I do buy healthy (but inexpensive) food, and I still go out and have fun... tho not every night. In any case, I don't feel like my lifestyle is really lacking anything, and I'm finding it easy to be frugal in this country.

I do understand, however, that I probably won't find a job that pays that much at my age, even with the experience that I have. Oh, well... I can dream! I have a job right now that I really like, and while it doesn't pay enough to live solely off of that, it is a good chunk, anyway. And I have some clients in the States right now which really helps. Además, I've been kinda looking into some other "work-from-home" US jobs ... they probably don't pay great if I was living in the States, but it'll be a great supplement while I'm here.

KatharineAnn said:
But if you're here to enjoy being in a new place and appreciate what this city has to offer, it shouldn't matter that you have to give up fancy electronics and the consumerist frenzy that is the US. Besides, you can always go back when you get tired of it here :)

That is one aspect I wasn't considering when I wrote my post - that and living with roomates as Cassiem noted. I've gotten too old (not THAT old though!) and enjoy my comforts :) I wish I had figured out 20 years ago that living in another country and experiencing a different life can be much more fullfilling than living in the rat race back home, at least for an extended period!

I know a couple of guys who came to town in their early/mid twenties and went to work for another ex-pat who owned a bar in the city. These guys ended up making a deal with the owner, bought him out, and now run a very popular bar that makes a ton of money! Talk about luck! You never know where you'll end up when you take chances, but if you don't take them, you certainly don't go anywhere to begin with.

Sergio- I worked for a private school in Quilmes. I drove from Olivos so I got a travel allowance. I didn't get the nice international contract, since I was hire while I was living in Argentina. The local teachers said I was getting screwed for pay. The other chemistry teacher has taught 24 years and took the same pay as me. I have two masters degress, so that made some difference. The private schools in Olivos I know pay about $1000 to $2000 pesos more than Quilmes school. You are right most teachers who are not on a full-time table schedule do work at two schools.

Back