Experiences in Buenos Aires

sparks

Registered
Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well.

I'm currently working on a project about Buenos Aires (and Argentina more generally).

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the prices down there? I'm looking for specific examples of the value you can find as an expat...whether in housing, healthcare, private education, transportation, etc. As well as any cool stories about low prices you might have.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

I will just mention if you are earning in dollars and exchanging at the blue rate there is tremendous value. Even just the food, you can get a top notch meal with appetizers, main course and drink for around $12, and the same in the US would probably be $30 or $40 easily. Public transit is so cheap it's nearly free. Cabs are not expensive and easy to use. Very liveable in general if you are exchanging dollars at the blue price.

If you are using a US credit card then you are not gaining from the exchange rate at all, and it is not much of a deal.

anybody who can take advantage of the blue rate, or the "western union" rate, has a great advantage over everyone else earning in pesos. i mean, your costs are almost half if you do things this way. i dont think i would describe this as "cool" though.

Years ago I paid more for NYC pre-k than I do now for BA private elementary/high school.

$100 (blue rate) per month gets you really good health insurance for use in clinics and pharmacies and hospitals. There is also a public option that is mostly overrun and out of everything minus numbered queue tickets.

Transportation is also nearly free considering how heavily it is subsidized. Taxis are also cheap and easy to use and Cabify is the Uber-like survivor that competes with the formal taxis.

Parking in a garage can run you around a dollar per day. Car insurance will cost under $20 for the basic coverage.

If you want some durable goods pricing, check out mercadolibre.com.ar for that, and be prepared for the sticker shock.

Great advantages for dollar holders, in apt temporary rental, utilities (electric $US 4 /month ), Wine US$ 3 for some of the best like Rutini malbec. Public health care is free. Weekdays lunch Menu Fix US$ 4 . (1/2 steak de Chrorizo , dessert and drink) .

Lowest Prices for night life entertainment, like Night Clubs and drinks , great opportunity for singles to meet locals.....

Note: most locals live in $$$$ Areas of town like Recoleta, Palermo, etc. Therefore the prices quoted are Much higher than other less exclusive areas of town

Last edited:
Back