Expiring Passport

mini said:
Sorry. You also have bad information. The only requirement is that the passport be "valid". There are no particular months of validity requirement at all.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1130.html#entry_requirements
http://www.argentina.gov.ar/argentina/portal/paginas.dhtml?pagina=1245

This is completely wrong. If the tourist visa is valid for 90 days then the passport must also be valid for another 90 days minimum, it only makes sense. If she doesn't have 90 left on the passport they won't let her on the plane.

gouchobob said:
This is completely wrong. If the tourist visa is valid for 90 days then the passport must also be valid for another 90 days minimum, it only makes sense. If she doesn't have 90 left on the passport they won't let her on the plane.

How can it be "completely wrong" if it comes from the Argentine gov't? Who is "they"? I don't know if "they" will let her on the plane. All I know is there is no passport validity requirement to enter the country.

It's wrong because they say a valid passport, a passport that will expire before the 90 days is not valid. The passport has to be valid for at least the same period as the visa.

What they can do is call the airline she is flying on and confirm the 90 day requirement.

The passport does not have to be valid for the length of the visa. It has to be valid for the time she is traveling. Yes. I have personal experience with this.

But as I said before, if the OP's sister has time she should save herself the stress & get a new passport.

The tourist visa given to U.S. citizens (or any other nationality) doesn't have to be 90 days. They can give you any number of days they see fit -- 90 is just the maximum per entry. Since this number is stamped/written in the passport, it can easily be adjusted.

bradlyhale said:
The tourist visa given to U.S. citizens (or any other nationality) doesn't have to be 90 days. They can give you any number of days they see fit -- 90 is just the maximum per entry. Since this number is stamped/written in the passport, it can easily be adjusted.

Yes, the number of days can vary. Someone traveling with a Canadian passport that includes their place of birth as Argentina automatically gets only 60 days (and better not overstay!).

I suggest she bring a copy of her itinerary with her to show migraciones the date of departure from Argentina.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am the "sister". :) I called the Argentina Embassy in D.C. earlier this morning. They said my passport needed to be valid upon entry to Argentina. I also called traveldocs.com since they had conflicting information. They suggested I call my airline and said they probably put three months on their website to cover themselves. American Airlines said my passport needed to be valid upon entry to Argentina. She said they get their information from the government.

TheSister said:
Thanks everyone for your comments. I am the "sister". :) I called the Argentina Embassy in D.C. earlier this morning. They said my passport needed to be valid upon entry to Argentina. I also called traveldocs.com since they had conflicting information. They suggested I call my airline and said they probably put three months on their website to cover themselves. American Airlines said my passport needed to be valid upon entry to Argentina. She said they get their information from the government.

This sounds like a big maybe. The gatekeeper is the airline. I have been through this before too and was denied boarding because of this although it wasn't to Argentina. If your return is beyond the expiration date they definitely won't let you on the plane. The people who control this are the folks at the check-in counter not somebody on the phone. If their website says 3 months that what they are probably going to enforce. The reason is simple the airlines face big fines if they let people on flights without valid passports or visas. If there is any doubt they won't let you on. Perhaps you can try and let us know what happens.

cafayate.com said:
My sister is coming to visit from the U.S. in a week and she just realized her passport expires in 3 months - according to Argentine law - it must not expire within 6 months. Has anyone had experience with this? She's only staying for a few weeks and has a return ticket before her passport actually expires.

OK, did she get in on her old passport or not. You raised the question, what is the answer?

Thanks

why not be safer than sorrier? you can renew your passport in a 24-hour turnaround. go to the passport office and bring a printout of your ticket or itinerary and your passport. it has to show that you're leaving within the week. i believe it's $165 total. i had to do it once when traveling for the first time to spain. i didn't even have to wait for the next day. i got it the same day.

Back