Expiring U.s. Driver's License

NickF

Registered
Anyone here from the U.S. that has let their U.S. (in my case California) license expire and had any unexpected, negative consequences? I'm in Argentina for the long term, but do make frequent visits back to the U.S. and drive a lot there. I figure I can drive on my Argentina license when I'm there -- which I have yet to get there. I'm not thinking it would be a big deal to let the Calif. license expire and get a new one when / if I move back, which could be some years from now. Any advice on this or experience with this would be apprectiated. BTW: DMV is not allowing me to renew by Internet. Thank you

Anyone here from the U.S. that has let their U.S. (in my case California) license expire and had any unexpected, negative consequences? I'm in Argentina for the long term, but do make frequent visits back to the U.S. and drive a lot there. I figure I can drive on my Argentina license when I'm there -- which I have yet to get there. I'm not thinking it would be a big deal to let the Calif. license expire and get a new one when / if I move back, which could be some years from now. Any advice on this or experience with this would be apprectiated. BTW: DMV is not allowing me to renew by Internet. Thank you

Just renew it whenever you go back to California. It shouldn't be any big deal.

My husband´s US license expired and he got himself an Arg one. In a couple months we travel and he will renew it. In the meantime I gotta tell you that it has some advantages: renting a car on an Arg license as Arg resident is a lot cheaper! - just play around with that option at car rental sites and you will have a nice surprise ;)

Be careful with California. As far as I know, if you renew your drivers license you are still considered a resident of CA, which may create state tax liabilities. This is what a Deloitte and Touche accountant told me when I first relocated to Argentina.

I agree with sleslie23 about the tax consequences. I had a NY drivers license which I let expire on purpose for that very reason. I still have to file for NY State taxes (but do not owe anything) until I move back to the country and into another state (having a license for that state would have indicated that I still reside there). I would check with a tax professional who is familiar with the laws of CA. Good luck!

I renewed my license online after I had let it (inadvertently ) expire. At least in my state, you CAN renew online if your old license isn't more than six weeks expired...however they issue you a TEMPORARY license only good for 6 months. Within that six months you need to get your photo taken (along with a downloadable document)at a licensing center in order for it to become a permanent license. In my case I needed to renew in order to rent and or drive a car on my trips back to the US. , as I do not have an Argie license (altho as a resident I am eligible for one)..re the tax thing, yes I heard that also. But my passport can always prove where I've been living (hopefully). I will double check this with my US based accountant when I see him in a few months. Good luck

I'm in the middle of renewing my NYC driver's license. If it expires when I go back to the States to renew it, I'll have to retake the driver practice test and theory test as well. You have to download the eye vision test, at least in NYC, and take it to an opthalmologist in BA and have him fill it out. Print out the renewal form and send them to DMV with payment in form of a check or money order and they'll send the license back to you. I'm sure California can't be that different.

Great! It turns out you can renew it online in California.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#dlrbi

How to renew your driver license by Internet

You may be eligible to renew your license by Internet if you receive a Renewal By Mail (RBM) Notice with a Renewal Identification Number (RIN), and:
  • Have access to the Internet
  • Not have a change of address or change of personal description
  • Have a verified Social Security Number (SSN) on DMV’s record (since October 2000, DMV verifies SSNs with the Social Security Administration)
  • Have a valid credit card (Visa, Master Card, American Express or Discover)
If you qualify and wish to renew by Internet, go to www.dmv.ca.gov, click on the Online Services (tab) and then choose Driver License Renewal and complete the instructions to renew your driver license online.
Please have your RBM notice and credit card handy before starting your transaction.
If you would like further information, please visit our Driver License Internet Renewal FAQ web page, or call
call_skype_logo.png
1–800–777–0133.
You can register to vote with the California Secretary of State at Voter Registration.

Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

I do renew mine every 5 years or so by internet. But if you can't is due to not having a complete clean driving history.!

I renewed my CA license by phone, super easy, when I realized it was expiring while I was out of the country. They mailed me a one-year extension, and it actually arrived less than two weeks later. I don't think it's a big deal if you let it expire, but maybe get the extension while you're finding out all the other implications.

Back