Exporting a Pet to Australia

GeorgeAus

Registered
Hey everyone!

The girlfriend and I are planning on going to Australia sometime in the future (if she can get a Working Holiday Visa) and bringing along our dog which is a Lhasa Apso (Not much different to a Shih Tzu).

Just reading the requirments on the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry website and was getting a little lost. Has anyone taken a pet out from here, I would imagine the US would have similar requirements.

Which Vet have you taken your pet to, as It has to be a Government approved apparently.

Thanks

Australia has the strictest import restrictions of any country. Good friends of mine just brought their dogs from the US to Australia and I believe they were in quarantine for a month in Australia.

The issue won't be what you need to take her *from* Argentina (quite simple), it's the tests/paperwork you need to get your dog *to* Australia.

This page has the steps and requirements (you've probably already read it but just in case) for cats/dogs coming from Argentina: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=Argentina

citygirl said:
This page has the steps and requirements (you've probably already read it but just in case) for cats/dogs coming from Argentina: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=Argentina

Thanks Citygirl, Yeah I read over all that, doesnt suprise me even the slightest that Australia has the strictest import restrictions. What is annoying me is the fact that you have to wait 150 days before you can proceed with things after the rabies test otherwise you have to make up the time in Australias quarantine. 30 days is okay, I can only visit her two times a week so I can hopefully bring her some pollo because she rarely eats her Eukanuba.

I wanted to see if bribes work in back dating the tests. As I would love to go back home early next year, rather then waiting 6-7 months longer.

hey GeorgeAus

I too am wishing to take my dog into Australia. Did you ever track down a vet that is government approved?

k

Back