Exporting hassles small and large scale

scarface-photo.jpg

Import/Export, high revenues and hard currency? :p

You can bring back artwork on canvas in tubes to the USA without hassle. I am in BA every other week or so for business and do it regularly.

Its incredible to me that a country would make it difficult to export. Especially a country in dire need of foreign exchange coming IN.

I would second Steve's recomendation- carry it yourself. The most cost effective, paperwork free, quickest, safest, and easiest way to export things from Argentina is to take them with you as checked luggage on commercial airline flights. Pay for extra bags, its still cheaper than any other alternative.

This requires you to be buying and selling relatively small, high value objects.
Wont work for Furniture or Used Cars.

But it can, and does, work, for things like textiles, jewelry, and even lamp parts- I have friends in NYC who know a guy who brings 2 bags full of antique chandelier parts from the Pulgas back to New York a couple times a year, and then reassembles and rewires in the US. A $200 light fixture in BsAs can easily be a $1000 or even $2000 in NY.

I also used to know an Argentine couple who had a small coffee bar in LA- and three or four times a year, they would come home, visit the Rents, and bring back two or three duffles full of argentine shoes. They had a small shoe section next to the espresso machine, and quadrupled their money, easily.

Since you can actually have tiny runs of custom shoes manufactured to order in Argentina, I would think that a good designer could cultivate a series of high end boutiques in the US or Europe with absolutely unique shoes, and make decent money on it. Wholesale prices in Argentina are probably 1/4 to 1/10 retail shoe prices in high end stores elsewhere.

There are various other collectibles and antiques which are relatively common and inexpensive (by global standards) in Argentina, which a good picker could do very well by. I'm not telling which, as I may do some of this myself at some point, but if you know antiques, or mid century collectibles even, you know that the stuff is incredible here, and that out in the smaller cities, its even more common and cheaper.

Actually the procedure is very clear...and not at all expensive if you actually take the paintings with you.

Several steps are required, but it wasn't very complicated when I did it (with help from Patriciafromuruguay).

And there is no export tax on original artworks taken out of Argentina and no import tax in the USA.

Other conditions may apply in the EU or the UK.
Steve, please could you outline the steps for me? I'm looking to export some argentine art and also some British pieces that I brought with me in my suitcase when I first arrived but that I didn't declare etc. none are particularly valuable to anyone but me. Any advice much appreciated.

If you use the advanced search for the words "artes visuales" in titles and content with "steveinbsas" as the author you will find my previous posts on this subject as well as information provided by other members.

Back