External Floppy Disc Drive

splaying

Registered
One of my computers does not have a floppy disc drive so I need an external one so as to install an antivirus program -

Does anyone have one I could use for the time period of the installation? I would purchase one but I only have the need for this one time application. I would appreciate it if you have one you would contact me.

Many thanks

walter

Can't u install directly from the web to get the latest version? If the machine is not connected/stand alone, then why use AV?​

Can't you use a memory stick?​

Haven't heard of a floppy based install in years, most stuff today has outgrown floppy disk practical capacities and copying/decompressing speeds.​

Walter, at least provide a location. Where are you located?​

What antivirus comes on a floppy drive? Did someone dig up a post from 2000?

In Y2k most antivirus programs were already distributed in CDs.
Windows 95 R1 came in a CD when the first revision turned the original 13 x1.44 HD disks into a 59MB little monster. The shape of things that followed,

Ahh the stacks of floppys!
I remember installing my first video game (dune II) at five years old, one disk after another as prompted by the dos installer. That was onto my dad's highend Micron P90, so called because it had 90mhz of processing power to complement its 16mb of ram and 500mb hard drive. I'm writing this post less than 20 years later on a cellphone with a 1.3Ghz dual core processor, 1GB of ram and 64GB of solid state memory and the whole thing easily fits in my pocket.

Progress is pretty cool.

Try going to a locutorio and copying the contents of the floppy to a pendrive.
Many locutorios still have floppy drives.

There was a little terminology misunderstanding; the OP means a CD/DVD drive.

BTW, going to a locutorio for solutions for these kind of issues is the best way to lose the contents or control over your computer altogether. Locutorios are the ultimate promiscuous computer source. Bring a problem, multiply it tenfold,
If you must, approach a small computer shot. They might be dumb, but hardly that dumb or dangerous.

Back