Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese??

keriwinn

Registered
I've been in BA for a month and have had one constant craving from home...extra sharp Vermont cheddar cheese. I'm from New Hampshire and I didn't realize how bad my addiction was. Is there any cheese in BA that is similar??

Cheddar cheese by la suerte is 'extra sharp' by most US standards, its similar to the tilamook in the black wrapper in 'sharpness' but I think it actually tastes better. You can buy it in mini wheels or wedges at some of the better stocked jumbos and discos or otherwise at specialty fiambrerias

Cheddar cheese by la suerte is 'extra sharp' by most US standards, its similar to the tilamook in the black wrapper in 'sharpness' but I think it actually tastes better. You can buy it in mini wheels or wedges at some of the better stocked jumbos and discos or otherwise at specialty fiambrerias
Thank you!! I will give it a try :)

I would highly recommend El Puente, they have a line of different cheese including other brands besides their own, if you buy in bulk you can save a lot of money. Check out their location near you, each of their locations is basically a grocery store that sells not only cheese but everything you would find in a grocery store salami,ham,milk,toilet paper etc and at low prices, even lower than Coto. I buy cheddar cheese from them, they dont have their own brand but they sell La Serenisima at about 80 pesos a kilo if you buy the 2 kilo bulk piece.

With few exceptions, cheese is low quality in Argentina. I have never found a decent Cheddar in Argentina. Most is the long shelf life Dutch style cheese. Velenti sells a local Cheddar but it is pretty tasteless and overpriced. Their locally made "Brie" though is not bad. There is just very little to choose from, even at a top drawer place like Valenti. Most Argentines do not travel so they have no idea what quality cheese tastes like. Those who do travel may have a better idea (though I often find that they eat at fast food places abroad rather than spend the money for good restaurants) but there aren't enough of them to create a significant quality cheese market. I think you will have to make do with what is available until you go to the US or Europe.

With few exceptions, cheese is low quality in Argentina. I have never found a decent Cheddar in Argentina. Most is the long shelf life Dutch style cheese. Velenti sells a local Cheddar but it is pretty tasteless and overpriced.

Give the one I suggested a try. No need to go to valenti. Disco usually has it.

I went to the food fair in the park in Las Heras last saturday. One stand was selling English style cheddar another proper Gorgonzola. They were both excellent, definitely the genuine article.

Back