Fabled cafe La Biela likely to close permanently

How about calle Lavalle? Blocks and blocks of movie theaters, with some huge ones in Corrientes and Cerrito. There must have been close to thirty cinemas and theaters in a three block radius. It was exciting to go downtown to the movies on Saturday nights. There were some suburban movies theaters, too, but nothing beat the excitement of going to Lavalle.

True but Lavalle had been going downhill for many years. I remember many years ago the cinemas were still decent. There was a place you could go to see all the many films listed with hours of screenings. I think just about everything is gone now. At least one major cinema is now an evangelical Protestant church. Not much left in the way of restaurants. Two decent ones the last I looked - La Estancia and Palacio de las Papas Fritas. They may not emerge from the crisis (or did Palacio close before the crisis?). Also Calle Florida used to be MUCH nicer. Before globalization and the internet, there was much more character to Buenos Aires. Its was a much more social city. People interacted a lot more. Now everybody's on his phone 24/7 and watching Netflix at home. Even before the virus, BA had become a far more isolated society, far less social and much less Argentine in the positive sense.

Does the Palacio de la Papa Frita still exists in any shape or form? They had the greatest "papas fritas souflee" - round, inflated fries, a true dish for the gods.

I don't know what killed Florida, but suspect that the increase in mass tourism had something to do with it. Slowly, established businesses like the Richmond confiteria, Marilu, Hermes, and exclusive shoe shops like Norberto were gradually replaced by shops full of trashy stuff catering to the tourist market.

Only Casa Lopez remains, fronting Plaza San Martin. Across from the lovely, old Plaza Hotel, now a franchise of a foreign hotel chain.

Correct me if I'm wrong - haven't been there in over fifteen years. Or more.

Last edited:
Absolutely. They had two superb dishes: Suprema Suiza which had the richest and most delicious cheese sauce I've ever had and Lenguado Maitre d'hotel con alcaparras - very fresh fish in butter, absolutely delicious. I knew the waiters for over thirty years. One was well into his seventies, probably close to eighty. Retired a decade ago or so. Another knew me from another restaurant that had closed. Another great benefit of this classic restaurant was the ABSENCE OF MUSIC! What a blessing. You could actually have a conversation in peace.

Sergio your image has gone to the Top of the Totem Pole..! you are a Gourmet that appreciates Traditional dishes without counting calories.. who needs Vegans...! My respects.

True but Lavalle had been going downhill for many years. I remember many years ago the cinemas were still decent. There was a place you could go to see all the many films listed with hours of screenings. I think just about everything is gone now. At least one major cinema is now an evangelical Protestant church. Not much left in the way of restaurants. Two decent ones the last I looked - La Estancia and Palacio de las Papas Fritas. They may not emerge from the crisis (or did Palacio close before the crisis?). Also Calle Florida used to be MUCH nicer. Before globalization and the internet, there was much more character to Buenos Aires. Its was a much more social city. People interacted a lot more. Now everybody's on his phone 24/7 and watching Netflix at home. Even before the virus, BA had become a far more isolated society, far less social and much less Argentine in the positive sense.

Some of the facts that killed Lavalle /Florida business

1. The move of families to Countries cerrados and Nordelta Area
  2. The creation of Malls with Cinemarks and Hoyts/Unicenter etc.
  3. The opening of high end stores in Malls Alto Palermo, etc.
  4. The High Crime rate in Florida St. specially after dark
  5. The Presence of Manteros
  6. The internet sale in Mercado Libre

Absolutely. They had two superb dishes: Suprema Suiza which had the richest and most delicious cheese sauce I've ever had and Lenguado Maitre d'hotel con alcaparras - very fresh fish in butter, absolutely delicious. I knew the waiters for over thirty years. One was well into his seventies, probably close to eighty. Retired a decade ago or so. Another knew me from another restaurant that had closed. Another great benefit of this classic restaurant was the ABSENCE OF MUSIC! What a blessing. You could actually have a conversation in peace.
"One was well into his seventies, probably close to eighty. Retired a decade ago or so. " This was Anibal. He reminded me of Ed Wynn. Words cannot express! A great waiter, entertaining, a gentleman. Maybe a bit of gossip on the other tables. It was a pleasure to be at his table. Besides great service he left you feeling elevated in that now lost world of a gentleman's gentleman.
All this and more in those halcyon days of 2004 and onward, enough to make a man move lock stock and barrel to be a part of the life life that was here in those times.

Anyone remembers La Emiliana, Loprete, or Ligure? Distinctive, one of a kind places, now gone.

La Emiliana was the only place serving Costillas a la Villeroy, a heavenly dish.

@artisans, sergio, on the brink: i love your stories about how it used to be here.

I am a bit ashamed now that i didnt go more often to these restaurants. Three years ago i went with my wife to the Colon (in no way i am a regular), and then by pure chance we went afterwards to the Edelweiss (we didnt know anything about it). Then half an hour later the main protagonists from the opera came in. Standing ovation. It was a very special evening, very good athmosphere, almost a magical experience. I dont know why we never went back there.

@artisans, sergio, on the brink: i love your stories about how it used to be here.

I am a bit ashamed now that i didnt go more often to these restaurants. Three years ago i went with my wife to the Colon (in no way i am a regular), and then by pure chance we went afterwards to the Edelweiss (we didnt know anything about it). Then half an hour later the main protagonists from the opera came in. Standing ovation. It was a very special evening, very good athmosphere, almost a magical experience. I dont know why we never went back there.

It was lots of fun to go there and see the stars enter, some international stars. And much more fun to have a leisurely dinner AFTER the performance and not have to worry about making an 8 o'clock curtain as they do in New York. The food at Edelweiss was not remarkable, however. Also a little overpriced but the atmosphere made up for it. Another place of note is the Petit Colon, a classic old cafe close to the Colon where people often meet prior to a Colon performance. Will it survive? It would be a great loss if it were too close.

Back