Fashion in BA

Really there are people using ninja turtle shoes??.. I had never seen them back since 1995. I dont know where did you seen this.
I'd remember when I had pair of shoes with a little rubber on the side that was used to inflate an air chamber that was in the sole, which allowed you to jump higher and run faster haha..

in Iraq they would hang a lady for wearing short dress, so what? Belgium - the center of the fashion

I consider my mother-in-law, sisters-in-laws and their entire family to be quite fashionable. Coming from a small city in Texas where you look through magazines and think, "No one actually wears any of this stuff," I went through stages. First I really didn't realize that I dressed differently (a.k.a. much worse in their opinion, surely). When I started realizing it, I didn't know how to do anything about it, and now it comes a bit more naturally. I have off and on days, but in the last year I have actually cringed at the comment, "Oh, you look so much more...(what is it??)...like us!" Sometimes it's as little as knowing when to tuck a blouse in and when to leave it out. Agree in that I love the lack of makeup. And that the platform Birkenstocks are awful. But if it's "in style," they don't care. It gets worn. Young and old.

I hate those camel toe shoes! and the platform birks, not ok.

I do love the casual attitude towards clothes here (a LITTLE makeup or effort wouldn't hurt thought). And I'm so jealous of all the long hair, I think it's impossible for my hair to get that long.

One thing I find funny is everyone dressing for the season and not the temperature, I got a lot of weird looks for showing skin last week even though it was 75 farenheit. Definitely not weather that merited all the UGGS and huge scarfs people must have been sweating under

IntlMama said:
Drop-crotch pants - what is up with these?!

Worst. Style. Ever. Noticed it the first day I came to BA 2.5 years ago and still grabs my attention when I see it. The other day I saw it on a guy for the first time.

What I like:
Womens shoes. Everything has a heel or a large platfoorm, absolutely fantastic with the long skinny legs that the typical argentine woman has.

Mens shoes. Not everyone under the age of 30 wears athletic shoes everyday like in the states.

What I hate:
Clothes made out of plastic. Suits, shoes, dress shirts, ties. Unbelievable. Entire wardrobes made from plastic.

Mens shirts that do not have independent Arm/Collar sizes. If you're the typical size person its damn near impossible to get a shirt that fits.

tez said:
Yesss!!! The clothes that fit is good, but not seeing pajamas in the supermarket is the best. I think about that often, I'll even nearly allow myself to go out of the house in something pajama-ey or in gym clothes, and then I think, "no, not here," and then I think, "thank God for that." I am so sick of sloppy Americans who roll out of the house and into their cars and into the supermarket/restaurant/Starbucks/Target/wherever. I understand the thought, the excuse: "who really cares?" And I even think that it's a reasonable excuse sometimes, but the truth is, we lose a lot when we stop caring about things like that, it's a slippery slope...

I definitely go to the grocery store in gym shorts wearing Havaianas. And it's not so much that I don't care (and I don't), but that it's comfortable and convenient. I'm not so sure what we lose when we make choices that are convenient and comfortable for us... the possibility of being 100% Argentine? :p

katti said:
Men always wear their jeans 1 size too big here...

More like a couple of sizes too small. In the US, they would say that only gay men wear their clothes so tight. Here the skinny teens wear very tight clothing and I guess if you are skinny it is nice to show it off, but they are showing ribs so it isn't very sexy.

irina said:
And I'm so jealous of all the long hair, I think it's impossible for my hair to get that long.

They are called hair extensions, available everywhere here in BA, even young teenagers are doing it. I am amazed at how expensive they are and that everyone is wearing them. Where do they get all this money.

Back