Fed Ex Delivery From The States

In my experience it is simply not worth the troubles importing anything into Argentina, talking from experience. The country is simply not organised enough to be able to deal with it properly, massive lines, ridiculous taxes, time wasting driving from one place to another - don't bother...

I've had large boxes sent to me here. Always used United States Postal service. Both went to Retiro. I cued up, waited about 45 minutes and was called for my stuff. They asked me what the contents were (used clothes) and who sent it (mom). I paid the $4AR and out I went. The hardest part was getting a taxi in that area.

Are you in someway notified when your package arrives at retiro?

Hi all, I work for the airlines from Miami and come to BA ever week bringing reasonably sized items for many locals and expats in BA. Have been doing it for many years with several clients from BA Expats too. I also take some things back to the States for people for mailings etc. If you get in a bind, send me a PM and maybe I can help you. Much easier than dealing with Ezeiza or Retiro!

Montauk Project,

I am not sure that your experience is totally correct. I have had things like garden design books sent from friends as gifts through the post. I then have to go to the customs desk at Correo Argentina, and have had to pay taxes on the price on the book! They told me they are part of aduanas and could take this action.

Receiving packages from abroad
You will read my previous post about packages through normal post.

I had a package of vitamin and mineral supplements that are not available here (to relieve my fibromyalgia symptoms)
from DHL. Customs denied my acceptance of the package after seeing they were sealed vitamins and minerals.
The package was returned to the sender.

A friend sent me a gift through Federal Express ... a cd of frogs croaking .. and customs in Buenos AIres denied
delivery.. a cd .. they said money had to be paid for an item with no saleable value! And I would have to go to
Buenos AIres (from Bariloche) to pay the fee. the local Fed Ex office could do nothing to help me.
It went lost, as it was never returned to the sender.

Most likely you're not going to have to go to Retiro -- you will have to go to Ezeiza. Unfortunately with Fedex any packages (especially artwork) that have to go through the aduana -- and this certainly will -- you now have to go out to Ezeiza. Fedex instead sends you a ltetter that I think they offer brokerage services, perhaps not, I can't remember. Basically when my mum sent a package that required me to go to Ezeiza, pay brokerage services, pay a bribe to get package released etc I decided it was worth neither the time, the hassle, nor the money.

I would not recommend sending packages like this again -- you could potentially end up paying thousands of pesos in transport and brokerage etc.

Hopefully someone who has actually been bothered to go through the process will have some good tips for you. I am sorry in advance for your pain! Suerte
I have no problems with FedEx envelopes but any FedEx package that I have received I have had to make the trip to EZE as well.

Last week I had a small package sent via general mail. I received a notice at my door, then went to pick it up at the post office. No problems or hassels or anything. It took about 2 weeks to arrive

I ship things in all the time and never , ever had a problem. It is by a private Air Freight company. No customs , no duty , no problems. No trips to Retiro , EZE, Correo. Pick it up whenever I want.

I ship things in all the time and never , ever had a problem. It is by a private Air Freight company. No customs , no duty , no problems. No trips to Retiro , EZE, Correo. Pick it up whenever I want.

If you don't mind, what company are you using and what's an example of something you shipped?

Back