Fibretel - Corrupt Rar Files

Praetor

Registered
Hi,

I have a Fibretel 30mb connection. I'm having a problem with .rar files - any .rar file I download is corrupt. I have an Arnet connection aswell, and downloading the same files with that connection works fine, so I am sure it is a problem with Fibretel. restarting the router has not helped

I'm going to call their Customer Support, but its quite a rare problem and I''m not too hopeful on their ability to help resolve it.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

Thanks

I've had all sorts of issues with Fibertel over 10 years of use. Spend over a year dealing with a single bad connection.

Have they verified the signal is within specs? Do you suffer packet loss? U wired using two different NICs of comparing both connections using the same one? Have you tried using a different computer with the same results?All drivers current and a computer clean bill of health?

Suggest you request FIRST that they replace the modem unit and if this doesn't fix it then next demand they repkace the cable wiring. Last resort is they verify the switch box somewhere on the rooftops.

Talk to a Supervisor, do not waste your time talking to the monkey trained to pick up the phone and read you the BS card.

No, comparing both connections using the same Ethernet card, files only fail on the Fibretel connection

Have not tried with a different computer no, but I think the fact it works perfectly with Arnet and doesnt with Fibretel is pretty conclusive. Yeah, all drivers are good and computer is running great

Called them, they suggested I restart the router. Sigh.

Beyond that, all they offer is to send somebody out. I guess replacing the modem might fix it.

Is probably fibertel. I friend of mine had the same problem back in 2011, but I can't find in my conversation logs how it was fixed it. I just sent him a SMS to check because I'm curious, I think they changed his cablemodem or it fixed itself, one of those two. Well, here is not answering. There may be three things that I think could be happening:

A. The signal from the cablemodem is too weak and is corrupting some files. This may be a problem with the wiring on the box itself. You are not going to notice this while browsing, but the CRC on some files (like rars) need to be precise. For example, you can have packets (data) being lost in a skype communication and is not going to screw everything, but a rar file needs to be complete. If not it will complain. You can take a look here at your cablemodem signal:
http://24.232.0.118/...ivelesPrima.asp

The tx value should be between aprox 40-55 and the rx -10-10. Mine are.. Tx 41.9 dBmV, Freq Tx 36600 MHz, Rx 1.2 dBmV

B. The UTP cable may be mixing with the power cable. Now, it may be a really long shot, but these things happen in companies and when you are designing a network, you need to take cared of this first. The magnetic field that is generated by a power-electrical cord, an elevator, a microwave, can alter the traffic that goes through the physical cable (not exactly sure if this can also happen on wifi at the same level, I think it will mostly cause an interruption with the connection). But, for example, I worked in IT in the past and in this company, they had this problem. Information being written in a older database (it was actually an ms access file) was being corrupted because of this. One of the UTP cables was running in parallel with electrical cables. So.. long shot, but hey, who knows. Perhaps it's you, perhaps is the cable on the roof.

C. Fibertel may be doing something in their internal network (like putting a proxy, loadbalancer, testing a new product for traffic shapping, something like that) and some traffic may be getting corrupted in the middle. ISP then to do some tweaks on their network, is their business.

Your best bet here is to ask them to change the cablemodem, the wire or the physical box on the rooftop. Good luck with this.. at least you have another connection to use.

Is probably fibertel. I friend of mine had the same problem back in 2011, but I can't find in my conversation logs how it was fixed it. I just sent him a SMS to check because I'm curious, I think they changed his cablemodem or it fixed itself, one of those two. Well, here is not answering. There may be three things that I think could be happening:

A. The signal from the cablemodem is too weak and is corrupting some files. This may be a problem with the wiring on the box itself. You are not going to notice this while browsing, but the CRC on some files (like rars) need to be precise. For example, you can have packets (data) being lost in a skype communication and is not going to screw everything, but a rar file needs to be complete. If not it will complain. You can take a look here at your cablemodem signal:
http://24.232.0.118/...ivelesPrima.asp

The tx value should be between aprox 40-55 and the rx -10-10. Mine are.. Tx 41.9 dBmV, Freq Tx 36600 MHz, Rx 1.2 dBmV

B. The UTP cable may be mixing with the power cable. Now, it may be a really long shot, but these things happen in companies and when you are designing a network, you need to take cared of this first. The magnetic field that is generated by a power-electrical cord, an elevator, a microwave, can alter the traffic that goes through the physical cable (not exactly sure if this can also happen on wifi at the same level, I think it will mostly cause an interruption with the connection). But, for example, I worked in IT in the past and in this company, they had this problem. Information being written in a older database (it was actually an ms access file) was being corrupted because of this. One of the UTP cables was running in parallel with electrical cables. So.. long shot, but hey, who knows. Perhaps it's you, perhaps is the cable on the roof.

C. Fibertel may be doing something in their internal network (like putting a proxy, loadbalancer, testing a new product for traffic shapping, something like that) and some traffic may be getting corrupted in the middle. ISP then to do some tweaks on their network, is their business.

Your best bet here is to ask them to change the cablemodem, the wire or the physical box on the rooftop. Good luck with this.. at least you have another connection to use.

this is good info.. I have been having fibertel problems since last year.... cannot download larger files, stream videos, and connection keeps resetting itself. have you or your friend experienced this issue? thanks

Great info from Inferno. A lot of the time it's the bad cable wiring in the building itself or just outside..I repeatedly pointed this out to a person who had similar problems & only after he tried everything else out he found that the signal was being distorted upstairs in the roof , in the wiring box. Problem solved.

Back