Finding a job in Bariloche with a Master's degree in physics

Bilobonda

Registered
Hello,

I'm a 23 years old Belgian, and I'm willing to relocate to San Carlos de Bariloche. I've never visited this city, but after some extensive research, I'd really like to try to live there for a while. I will probably arrive there with approximately 20000 pesos in mid-September. How much time do you think I could live there with this amount of money and without a job?

I have already begun exploring the possibilities for a job there by searching online, but it's been fruitless for now. I have a Master's degree in physics (5 years). I've seen that some people here live in Bariloche. Where do you think I should go to increase my chances of finding a job in my area of competence? There are obviously the Institute Balseiro and INVAP, however if you have another great suggestion, i'd be very grateful! :)

What do you think of volunteering in the region? Is there any 'real' volunteering program in this city? By 'real', I mean all inclusive. It seems that many volunteering programs ask for a monthly fee and rarely include accommodations and food.

It should also be noted that my mother tongue is French, but I don't have any teaching experience in this language.

My Spanish is intermediate but improving. I'm going to Spain in a language school for two weeks very soon.

Thank you very much to all of you! :)

Bilobonda said:
and I'm willing to relocate to San Carlos de Bariloche. I've never visited this city, but after some extensive research,

I think you need to do some proper research into different aspects of Bariloche. Try reading some of these on-line newspapers:

http://anbariloche.com.ar/
http://www.bariloche2000.com/
http://www.elcordillerano.com.ar/

Look at the ecomomical effects of volcano puyehue and you will start to realise why there are no jobs in Bariloche.

Some examples:

Bariloche has only 25% of the tourists in June & July compared to 2010.
A 5* hotel has only 10 rooms occupied
Many companies gone or going bankrupt
Many employees put on reduced hours & pay

On the other side, coming here as tourist is great because there are discounts at most hotels/restaurants and anything associated with the tourist industry.

As for how long you can stay that depends on what level of living you are looking for - dorm room in a hostel or a private apartment...?

The airport received its first commercial flight yesterday since the volcano eruption on June 4th, but don't expect it to be fully operational any time soon....

Be prepared to arrive on the bus.

Thank you for these links. It really helps.

Do you think that it would be a better idea to begin my job search in BA for example? I am aware of the fact that unemployment is very high, but since there are not so many physicists, my hope is to find a job where I could use some of my skills. What's your opinion?

Regarding the accommodations, I guess I can stay in a dorm room in a hostel. I'm single.

You need to find a company that will hire foreigners, without fluent spanish & without a work visa.... that's why so many people in Buenos Aires teach english...

Always have an exit plan (a return ticket)

Try to come down end of october/early november and spend the summer there, your best bet on a job would be working at some kind of estancia where you don't get paid but get free food and a place to stay. Or then that basically your only option will be working in a bar or hotel, but just when the tourists start coming again(no telling yet when)

Teaching some hours of English/French or Dutch might be an option as well

20k probally get you 8 to 10 months if you can find some kind of job

jez said:
Bariloche has only 25% of the tourists in June & July compared to 2010.
A 5* hotel has only 10 rooms occupied
Many companies gone or going bankrupt
Many employees put on reduced hours & pay

I would think that would give anyone great leverage to bargain their way into rock-bottom rates just about anywhere, agreed? Doesn't sound like OP wants to purchase, but I've gotta believe housing prices have plummeted too.

Hello,

As a physicist you should volunteer time at a Conicet Bariloche, a quick google search led me to this Instituto Superior de Estudios Sociales. - Intranet CONICET
www.conicet.gov.ar/intranet/habilitados.php - En cachéLuisa BAIGORRIA ([email protected]) – Dirección de Desarrollo y Gestión de ...... Nac. del Comahue ([email protected]) – Bariloche. ...

I bet all those emails are from people who speak English.
Point is that, it may be coincidence or premeditation but Bariloche is one of the few research belts of Argentina. While they probably wont give you a room and food in exchange formally, you might make friends with professors who might.

As for jobs if your French is as good as your English then you might be able to find an opening in the hospitality industry.

Bilobonda: what is your area of expertise/experience in physics? Many years ago I lived in Bariloche for sometime and I have some contacts that may help. Also, have you tried to write an email to some of the institutions you mentioned (IB/INVAP/etc)?

Back